What's new

Heard that VCI is looking for the right person to do a commentary track for RAIN! Who is the perfect choice? (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Hi Sir ---- I am really looking forward to this release, looking forward to seeing how the commentary works out -- so many great suggestions I hope they go with a team approach like you suggested!
...and therein lies my very dry joke. And if you are going to use Chief, please precede it with "Sorry about that..."
1651894724134.png

an actual USN Chief, would just want to hear either a Yes Chief, or No Chief, and be done with it so that they could get back to work and their coffee, at least that was my experience wearing that title :D

the word has different meanings to different people depending on the situation

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I hope this will be a great release from VCI - their reputation is really shaky with their films, Im more concerned about the PQ than a commentary track at this point. It is a 4K master, and unless it is a super poor release Ill probably get it !

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I hope this will be a great release from VCI - their reputation is really shaky with their films, Im more concerned about the PQ than a commentary track at this point. It is a 4K master, and unless it is a super poor release Ill probably get it !
Wow, what titles are you talking about specifically? Much has to do with the "Available Materials" to work with. I've found that, depending on the title, most all of these look pretty amazing!! And defiantly much higher quality than previous similar releases of the same title.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow, what titles are you talking about specifically? Much has to do with the "Available Materials" to work with. I've found that, depending on the title, most all of these look pretty amazing!! And defiantly much higher quality than previous similar releases of the same title.
They were using a dated encode for their releases but that might have changed. Night of the Bloody Apes had cut scenes and looked subpar. The Santo titles also are subpar with no English subs, poor dubs and bad transfers. There are plenty of discussions on forums and on FB about some of their releases. Reviews for Angel on My Shoulder weren't good. There was a Mexican double feature where the second feature El Escapulario was a poor transfer.
To their credit their serials are really good. It really depends on how serious or casual a collector you are of their films. I really like VCI and support their releases but admittedly some could use a better restoration.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
They were using a dated encode for their releases but that might have changed. Night of the Bloody Apes had cut scenes and looked subpar. The Santo titles also are subpar with no English subs, poor dubs and bad transfers. There are plenty of discussions on forums and on FB about some of their releases. Reviews for Angel on My Shoulder weren't good. There was a Mexican double feature where the second feature El Escapulario was a poor transfer.
To their credit their serials are really good. It really depends on how serious or casual a collector you are of their films. I really like VCI and support their releases but admittedly some could use a better restoration.
Angel On My Shoulder looked really good the best the title has looked ever, YES their Serials are wonderful restorations - they took such good great care of 1951's Scrooge doing the best restoration of the title. also their White Zombie too is also the best out there.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
agreed that is the presentation of the film first and foremost with every one of the minor boutique labels, come on how many volumes of titles do you think VCI is moving a year compared to some of the Major players in the game. But the do have a few niche's that they do quite well with, The Universal Cliffhanger serials collections, the thing with that is who did the restorations? VCI or Universal?, This could be a lot like the Mill Creek issue of hey they can only be as good as what they are supplied with.

As for that Pickford release, yes it's beautiful, and all the restoration work was funded and carried out by the Mary Pickford Foundation, and whom ever they partnered with on that individual title. And VCI is now the physical media releasing partner.

Not knocking them one bit they are willing to take chances on some great hidden gems, bring on Santo, Aztec Mummies, hell yes, More Universal Serials, I'll buy that, in a heartbeat!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Angel On My Shoulder looked really good the best the title has looked ever, YES their Serials are wonderful restorations - they took such good great care of 1951's Scrooge doing the best restoration of the title. also their White Zombie too is also the best out there.
I have Angel on My Shoulder on Blu-ray. The reviews werent the best but like you I think it's a worthy upgrade. It's more the reviews than anything. Their black and white titles are well done. I had Human Monster but bought the import from Network which is superior. I have White Zombie and is also a nice release. It's mostly their Mexican horrors, color films that seem to not fair as well since I have them too.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have Angel on My Shoulder on Blu-ray. The reviews werent the best but like you I think it's a worthy upgrade. It's more the reviews than anything. Their black and white titles are well done. I had Human Monster but bought the import from Network which is superior. I have White Zombie and is also a nice release. It's mostly their Mexican horrors, color films that seem to not fair as well since I have them too.
Only quibble I have is the serials with the Dead End Kids are still awaiting their restorations!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hey Bob, but does VCI have the rights to the DEK materials? I'd love to see them ginven some VCI love!!
They have the Universal serials like Junior G Men Of The Air their release of Gang Busters had a coming soon trailer but so far no release date. Their dvd of Spooks Run Wild is the best copy out there though Ghosts On The Loose on the same disc has a hissy soundtrack

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
They have the Universal serials like Junior G Men Of The Air their release of Gang Busters had a coming soon trailer but so far no release date. Their dvd of Spooks Run Wild is the best copy out there though Ghosts On The Loose on the same disc has a hissy soundtrack
https://www.vcientertainment.com/product/rain-blu-ray/
VCI has announced a September release for their Blu of "Rain" and Richard Barrios is doing a commentary. Yippee!
https://www.vcientertainment.com/product/rain-blu-ray/ GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE AND SEE A PROMO FOR THE RESTORED RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Pickford films were originally released by Milestone. They're the same Pickford Foundation restorations.
Yes and VCI is doing proper Blu and dvd releases! RAIN promo looks pretty impressive

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks