What's new

Heard that VCI is looking for the right person to do a commentary track for RAIN! Who is the perfect choice? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Heard that the LOC let VCI borrow the 35mm Fine Grain of RAIN and the 4k transfer is complete still being worked on I assume. They are hoping for a Sept 2022 Blu Ray release. Now here's the fun part, they are looking for any suggestions for the right person to do the commentary track. Please everyone post your thoughts here I will send the link to VCI! Let's flood them with suggestions! Too bad I do not know anything about the film I would suggest myself!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
So glad to learn this. I've had the VCI restoration of RAIN on my To Get List pretty much forever!
Me too - never saw it, and I wonder who would do the commentary track justice I do not know if Mr Rode or Mr Maltin would be interested. Those are two that popped into my head.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
It's a terrific movie. And needs a chatty but well-informed and serious commentary. Not something campy. Perhaps author Richard Barrios( "A Song in the Dark"). He generally writes about musicals (which "Rain" definitely isn't). But he's certainly one of the foremost experts on the early talkie era (the film came out in 1932).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Me too - never saw it, and I wonder who would do the commentary track justice I do not know if Mr Rode or Mr Maltin would be interested. Those are two that popped into my head.
Bob, here is a link to a YT edition...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_WhEo77w0
this one might be slightly better??

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok with John Waters doing it, but can someone get Faye Dunaway :D in the room for comments along the way.

but in all seriousness, Mick LaSalle, Pre-Code Author and Film Critic (who does podcasting) might be a great choice given the subject matter

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
When it comes to VCI, I think what they need are people who know what they're doing. I've only ever been happy with a single Blu-ray they've released and that was Dark Night of the Scarecrow. I'm wondering if that restoration was outsourced.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
When it comes to VCI, I think what they need are people who know what they're doing. I've only ever been happy with a single Blu-ray they've released and that was Dark Night of the Scarecrow. I'm wondering if that restoration was outsourced.
Have you seen there serials on Blu Ray? Their White Zombie is the best out there and their recently released Angel On My Shoulder is also the best out there. And their last Blu Ray of Scrooge 1951 is the best the title ever looked.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
ok with John Waters doing it, but can someone get Faye Dunaway :D in the room for comments along the way.

but in all seriousness, Mick LaSalle, Pre-Code Author and Film Critic (who does podcasting) might be a great choice given the subject matter
Interesting - I have to check out Mr. LaSalle too -- I love Pre-code Warners those old Forbiden Holly sets should have been issued on Blu Ray - or at least some of them.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Have you seen there serials on Blu Ray? Their White Zombie is the best out there and their recently released Angel On My Shoulder is also the best out there. And their last Blu Ray of Scrooge 1951 is the best the title ever looked.
Thanks on Night Of The Scarcrow! I have to check that one out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks