Heard B&W for the first time WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MWestyn, Oct 17, 2002.

1. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I had been planning on getting a Boston Acoustics setup (VR-M50's, VR-MX's, VR-MC), but last night I went to a local showroom and listened to some B&W's...Holy crap!!! I had no idea what I would have missed!

I listened primarily to the 603 S3's (which will be my mains--or 604's--haven't decided yet). The sound was so amazing, clear, and precise that after repeated tracks, I never got tired of listening to it.

Any B&W owners please chime-in.

I can't wait to bring some of these home.

-Sean

2. Ricky***C

Ricky***C Extra

That's exactly tha same post i was going to make 2 weeks ago but my herniated disc has sidelined me for a while. First i was looking to get Paradigm Monitor 7s, then listened to the Paradigm Studio 60s and said WOW I gotta have these.
    Then, after listening to the Paradigms, I took 20 min. ride to another shop and listened to the B&W 604 S3.....WOW times 1 million [​IMG]
    The B&W's, at least to my ears, were far better than the Studio 60s. Like you, i could have stayed in that shop all night and listened to the same track. Now if the Denon 3803 would hit the street [​IMG]

3. Ricky***C

Ricky***C Extra

That's exactly the same post i was going to make 2 weeks ago but my herniated disc side-lined me for a while. First I was looking to get Paradigm Monitor 7s, then listened to the Paradigm Studio 60s and said WOW I gotta have these.
    Then, after listening to the Paradigms, I took a 20 min. ride to another shop and listened to the B&W 604 S3.....WOW times 1 million [​IMG]
    The B&W's, at least to my ears, were far better than the Studio 60s. Like you, I could have stayed in that shop all night and listened to the same track. Now if the Denon 3803 would hit the street [​IMG]

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I also am a fan of the B&W lines, but I'm curious as to what equipment each store was using, as well as the demo material. We all have different tastes and preferences, and clearly what sounds better to one person can sound less impressive to the next. But if you found the 604 S3's THAT much better than the Paradigm studio 60's, I can't help but be curious about the set-up and media used during each demo session. I know it happens, but while I've often found significant differences among speakers in similar price ranges, it's rare that I find drastic, staggering differences. Especially when you are talking about Paradigm stuff. Please don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not being critical of your taste, nor am I hacking on B&W. I'm just trying to figure out why you noticed THAT big of a difference.

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Alan:
    I am not familiar with Paradigm speakers, so I have no idea how they compare to B&W 6-series speakers. However, at any given price point, different manufacturers products can sound quite different. One particular example would be B&W (600 series or Nautilus) vs. Sonus faber.
    Larry

6. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Point taken, Larry. And I've certainly experienced differences among brands in the same price range, I just can't imagine a similarly priced speaker BLOWING AWAY the Paradigms. I don't hear that very often, so I can't help but be curious to hear more about the circumstances. It piqued my interest more than anything [​IMG]

7. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

I love my B&W 603s2 speakers. They were certainly distinctive when I tried them out two years ago. I thought they were a great buy for the money.

8. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Well I finally listenend to B&W's for the first time yesterday as well.
    I heard the B&W N802 driven by Krell Showcase gear and B&W N804 driven by McIntosh gear.

I had thought that a would find them bright based upon their frequency respone graphs, to my surprise I din't find them to be nearly as bright as some other speakers I have heard nor as bright as a lot of posts had led me to believe. This was the good thing.

However, the N802's did not sound anywhere near 7-8K worth of speaker, for this set-up I am going to have to put a lot of the blame on the Krell gear however. Because in this demo the N804's sounded a lot better than the 802's. They oth had pretty good dynamics all around, but my biggest complaint is that they never gave me the feeling that I am in the room with the performer. I was always cogniscant of the fact that I was listening to reproduced music. There was never an emotional engagement to the music. This primarily came up when listening to intimate jazz vocals.
    I can see how people like the B&W sound, but I also think for the money one can do better. But then again I think I am spoiled by my personal speakers, and also emotion and intimacy rank highly on my scale of importance.

9. David-TF

David-TF Agent

I own B&W N802 and could not be happier with them. I have tried differnt amps (parasound,cinepro,cinenova,legacy)to name a few with the 802s and currenly using PS Audio HCA-2 amps to drive them W/ a Mac MX132 Pre/pro and found the holy grail.I believe the right combo makes the speakers.

10. Jeremy Hopkins

I actually did the same thing. I heard the Paradigm Studio 60s running on a Sunfire Signature amp. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great. But latter that day when I walked into another store with B&W 602s2 s playing I was really blown away. They were playing on a Rotel integrated amp.
    The person at the Paradigm place says the amp wasn't set up for them. But I was still so impressed I almot bought the B&Ws. Then money ran out for a while....Then I just decided to build my own.[​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Jeremy

11. Ricky***C

Ricky***C Extra

That's exactly the same post I was going to make 2 weeks ago but my herniated disc sidelined me for a while. First I was looking to get Paradigm Monitor 7s, then listened to the Paradigm Studio 60s and said WOW I gotta have these.
    Then, after listening to the Paradigms, I took a 20 min. ride to another shop and listened to the B&W 604 S3.....WOW times 1 million [​IMG]
    The B&W's, at least to my ears, were far better than the Studio 60s. Like you, I could have stayed in that shop all night and listened to the same track. Now if the Denon 3803 would hit the street [​IMG]

12. Edward Richards

Edward Richards Auditioning

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to hear the B&Ws locally. I was all set to drop the cash for the Paradigm Studio 60 setup...that was until I heard a few Totem Acoustic products. In particular, the Arro just blew away the Studio 60 in A/B tests at the local dealer. The accuracy, the great soundstage, it was just amazing.

If the B&Ws are also that much better, I want to take a listen. The price for a set of mahogany Arros is about $1050 Cdn and the Studio 60's were about $1350 Cdn, so price is even in favour of the Totem line.

13. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Scott,
    Out of curiosity, what speakers are you using in your system? I've found the same thing. I really like the B&W's and they are one of two options when I get the go ahead to complete my HT but I'm currently using Maggies for my 2CH and there is certainly an emotion that they evoke in me that most other speakers don't. I have yet to hear speakers that can do vocals and acoustic music like the Maggies. Everytime I listen to them I feel like I'm having a private concert in my living room.[​IMG]

14. Edward Richards

Edward Richards Auditioning

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to hear the B&Ws locally. I was all set to drop the cash for the Paradigm Studio 60 setup...that was until I heard a few Totem Acoustic products. In particular, the Arro just blew away the Studio 60 in A/B tests at the local dealer. The accuracy, the great soundstage, it was just amazing.

If the B&Ws are also that much better, I want to take a listen. The price for a set of mahogany Arros is about $1050 Cdn and the Studio 60's were about $1350 Cdn, so price is even in favour of the Totem line.

15. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Jeez, can I relate! I listened to the Paradigm Reference 100's, to see what the fuss was all about. I needed a front stage. I auditioned them on a Denon 4802, and was not impressed. They had LOADS of bass though! I was more concerned with the highs & mids. I ordered an SVS 2531PC+ for the BASS this morning. The KEF's they had (q7?) sounded better to my ears. Then I listened to the B&W's, and it was all over. I was able to demo them with my same model Yamaha as well. They sounded like nothing I'd ever heard, so sweet! Like people in the car business say, "There's an @$$ for every seat". The CDM 9NT's / CDM CNT will be here in a week! To MY ears, they sounded better than anything I have auditioned to date, including the Nautilus 804's, etc.

16. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

I am highly suspect of "oh my god" reactions after an audition, and a wise-old audiophile friend of mine once said something similar. Stuff that wows you may not be good to listen to in your home for a lot of time.
    For instance, the Monitor Audio Silver 5is were very popular some time ago. Detail, spaciouse, etc.!! Then people took them home and after a month dumped them because they were very bright and fatiguing sounding speakers. Not that this is the case, but take it easy, and take a few more trips to audtion and try some other brands too. Hell, buying stuff is half the fun in this hobby!
    Of course, I would also have to recommend Dynaudio to audition [​IMG] Shameless plug, i know!

17. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

When I listen to the CDM I thought my Monitor 9's sounded better with a lot more bass but imaging, depth, clarity and transparency are on par with the far more expensive B&W's.

18. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

another PRO-B&W thread becoming a ANTI-B&W thread, gee, status quo for HTF lately, I am starting to think I am in the wrong place (maybe antiB&W.com would be a more appopriate title). I am not sure why I consistantly see the same names pop up giving B&W bad reviews. I guess when I see a post about a product that someone praises and I don't agree, I keep it to myself (remember, audio is subjective). I have slowed my posts around here, but I am coming real close to not coming back, the same retoric is is getting real old.

I guess I could go back and spend more time on audioasylum, at least there the occasional b&W bashing thread would be from people who own $100K Wilsons, et al, instead of some other wannabee brands

19. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

btw, Sean

I recently was "WOW'd" by a couple systems, a Revel studio/saloon-TagMclaren system and a Conrad johnson/Totem Hawk system. Both sounded great and much better than the systems I hear at circuit city, I would guess I will trust my ears over some "theory" some guy gives on this web site.

20. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Don't feel too bad Rodney. It happens to every brand. But the B&W bashing is at least well founded.
    -edit- I frequently grip about the stuff I own as a way to keep an even keel. Pros and cons. [​IMG]