heard about "CONVERT YOUR TV INTO A PROJECTOR"?? anyone know more about this?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kamal_G_B, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Kamal_G_B

Kamal_G_B Auditioning

just came across an add to convert my tv into my very own 3m projector for some insanely ridiculous low price- not sure if it's fact or just some snake in the grass waiting to bite by a$$?
    anyone out there know more about this? any catches? radiation exposure? pro's and cons?
    thanx

2. ElAhrai

ElAhrai Stunt Coordinator

I've seen these too and have played around with it. While it can work it is a pain in the neck and the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired. Not to mention that due to the way that the optics work you'll have to place your TV upside down, which some sets do not respond well to.

Personally I wouldn't go for this, but it can be fun to play with.

3. Kamal_G_B

Kamal_G_B Auditioning

ok, ok, ok
    to tell u the truth, i'm really itching to find out how it all works- any chance of u sharing with me the trade secrets? would be greatly appreciated
    thanx

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> any chance of you sharing...

Go to Office Depot or similar store and buy a sheet magnifying glass perhaps 8-1/2 x 11 inches. Get a cardboard carton big enough to hold the TV with several inches of space on all sides. Cut a hole in the carton big enough to fit the magnifier. Put the TV in the box facing the magnifier. Hang sheet or screen on the wall in front of the box. Darken the room. Optional refinement only if a serviceman is handy: Open the rear of the TV and re-adjust the yoke on the picture tube to make the picture as projected right side up. If you must turn the TV on its side, or upside down, you should add a ventilating fan. Use Paypal to send me ([email protected]) $19.95.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

(The cardboard carton is needed to keep light from the TV tube that misses the magnifier from washing out the screen.)

5. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

6. Kamal_G_B

Kamal_G_B Auditioning

thanx alot guys!

ps- ur cheque's in the mail Allan

BTW, still shopping around for the best speaker setup for my Onkyo 601 AVR- scoped out POLK RTi10's RTi6's and CSi5
    --->whaddaya think?

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I actually think this would work ok if you did it like this:

Use a PC and a large 19-22" CRT computer monitor which is capable of high resolution at least 1280 x 1024. Use that with an HTPC and maybe it might look a little better, but I doubt it'll be worth it. Fresnel lens waste of money and time. You use a regular NTSC TV and its going to look crap.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, it wont work no matter whatn monitor you use. They dont have enough brightness for an even halfway decent image. It will suck. If you want a big screen, find a used video-grade CRT projector for a hundred bucks or so, that's what they are designed to do.