What's new

Hear Difference? 5.1 vs 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
Is there a noticeable difference between 5.1 and 7.1? Are movies exceedingly immersive with 7.1 versus 5.1? I have a 5.1 Onkyo that decodes lossless and I'm already blown away so is it worth the jump in price for 2 more surrounds?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I’ll let others comment on any potential improvement you get with 7.1 compared to 5.1, but 7.1 requires a room that will adequately accommodate it. You really need the back wall to be at least 6-8 ft. behind the primary seating, if not more. If your seating is up against the wall or very close to it, 7.1 won’t benefit you much.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Wayne is right IMO a poorly setup 7.1 will actually sound worse than a well put together 5.1 setup. For 7.1 you'll really want a dedicated theater room where you can properly place the speakers. Since most folks don't have this I feel it's best a lot of times to stick with a 5.1 that's a bit more forgiving of placement.

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
Wayne is right IMO a poorly setup 7.1 will actually sound worse than a well put together 5.1 setup. For 7.1 you'll really want a dedicated theater room where you can properly place the speakers. Since most folks don't have this I feel it's best a lot of times to stick with a 5.1 that's a bit more forgiving of placement.
Thank you! I don't have room for 7.1 at the moment, but Im sure my 5.1 is set up optimally right now and it's great!

Fortmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin F Miller
Going to lossless for me was huge. The separation is so much better in the center channel actually works as a center channel. It seems I hear more out of the other four speakers that I used to

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks