Health advice...anyone else experienced this?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Mar 9, 2004.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Hello, this is not a major issue, but it's something that I occasionally run into and I don't exactly know what it is so I can't do any research on it...

This always seems to happen when I eat quickly (usually when I'm eating fast to get out of the house in the morning). It's almost like the phenomenon of when you swallow the wrong way (i.e. the food goes "down the wrong pipe"), but it's not like that where you start hacking. It's almost like a bunch of phlegm builds up in my throat and works its way up slowly. It takes about 5 seconds and is a very strange sensation. It's almost like throwing up in SLOW motion. The phlegm almost gets to the back of my throat and then it stops. It's not far up enough to cough it up, but instead I end up swallowing again and it starts all over again.

Again, it's not that it is painful, but it's very uncomfortable (and lasts about a minute or two). It starts off strong and then slowly eases up everytime I cough up enough phlegm. Obviously if it was really bad, I'd go see a Dr., but I don't think I need to see anyone (i.e. It's like seeing a Dr. for swallowing the wrong way) because it usually happens when I'm eating too fast, so it's probably something that I'm doing wrong.

For example, this morning I ate a hard boiled egg really fast. I didn't have anything to drink, so maybe it was to dry to go down my esophagus.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Perhaps are you mildly or slightly allergic to eggs or hard boiled eggs? perhaps it's just a mild swelling of the esophogus that may feel like something is in there?

I know when I eat fresh shrimp of which I am mildly allergic to, my throat will swell up to make it uncomfortable but not serious.

I think the solution is to wash it down with water and it should hopefully go away, if it's more serious you can get checked to see if it's an allergy.

Jay

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That's kind of what it feels like because it feels like a lump in my throat, but it seems more like the food wants to come back up rather than go down.

Again, I've always come across this when I swallow/eat too fast. Not that I claim to know what's going on, but it almost sounds reasonable like it's a pulled muscle in my throat? If that seems to make sense. Almost like the throat muscles are over worked?

I don't know, but it's wierd none the less.

4. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

You know the old joke:

A guy goes in to see his Dr. & says "Doc, it hurts when
    I do this".......

Maybe you should eat S-L-O-W-L-Y.....[​IMG]

sorry, I could not help myself. [​IMG]