headphones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted_T, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Ted_T

Ted_T Auditioning

Hello all,
    I am in the process of building my little version of a home theater. Its nothing like some of the amazing ones you all have put together but for me it gets the job done.
    The thing is I am on a very limited budget and it takes me an entire month of save for one component. Right now I have my tv and dvd player so I can atleast enjoy watching movies at the moment. My next component on the list is an a/v reciever. I dont want to have to wait an entire month to take advantage of it since that is how long it will before I can pick up my speakers.
    What my question is would it be possible to hook up a headphone amp and pair of headphones to the a/v reciever? I have been reading the home theater usenet group for about a month and have not seen anyone mention this. I know my headphones are better then the built in speakers of my tv so I think I can get more enjoyment out of watching movies with the headphones.
    If this is possible is there a special feature I would need to look for on the a/v reciever and how would I hook it up? I want to make it clear I am very ignorant when it comes to audio. I do not like music so I have never owned a stereo in my life. It would probably be best to explain the setup as if you were speaking to a child. =)
    For curiousity sake or if it matters the headphone amp and headphones I would like to use are headroom airhead portable amp and pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones.
    Thanx again for listening to my long babble and apply your knowledge to help a fellow person.
    ------------------
    --
    Ted

2. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Yes, very easy to do. The receiver just needs a "tape out" connection on the back. Run a couple of RCA cables from the tape out to the headphone amp and you are set. BTW, thumbs up on the 600's, GREAT headphones! An alternative to the amp worth checking out is the Musical Fidelity X-CansV2. Very good sound w/ a touch of tube magic :)
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"

3. Andy W

Andy W Stunt Coordinator

4. Ted_T

Ted_T Auditioning

Tyson,
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear a simple solution even a moron like myself could can do. =) Funny thing is I actually believe I did read about that very thing at headwize but it just didnt click with me.
    I read and heard from a friend the xcans match extremely well with Senn 600s. To the point some people call it cheap nirvana. Since the headphone use is only an interim patch till I can get the speakers I figure money better spent on HT components.
    Andy,
    Thanx for the thread link, nice stuff. I know about headwize which is where I learned the Senn 600s were a good cheap(relative) dynamic headphone.
    ------------------
    --
    Ted

5. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

There is the discontinued (because of DD 5.1) Sennheiser DSP/Prolific surround decoder headphone adapter that according to some reviews I’ve read is pretty good and should hold you off until you get your new speakers set up, I was checking into this option for late night viewing, you can find them for $49.00 maybe less, of course you need a good pair of headphones like the Sennheiser HD 600, HD 580 or equivalent. http://www.spidergear.com/cgi-bin/vs...9810+964814107

6. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Check out express.com. I just ordered a pair of Senn HD600 for $138 including shipping! Too good to be true? Maybe....I'm hoping they don't write back and say sorry for the server mistake....since they are at least $210 anywhere else.
    BTW, there is a good argument that a high level pair of headphones IS nirvana, better than the best speakers you can buy. Headphones take away alot of the compromising factors that speaker designers must engineer around, and you don't have to deal with room acoustics.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org
    [Edited last by Steve_D on July 29, 2001 at 10:29 PM]

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i own a pair of HD-580's and love them. anyway, my brother has the 600's and a portable airhead amp. his connects to a mixer board and works great, so i'm sure it'd work for the receiver.