What's new

Headphones (1 Viewer)

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering, what are some of the best headphones under $150.00? thanks.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Sennheiser 515, 555 (580 if you can go up to $180)

Grado SR60, SR80, SR125

Etymotic ER-6

Checkout Headroom and Head-Fi for lots of great headphone info.

Ned

Supporting Actor

I'm outraged :D

Senn's are definitely a darker, more laidback sound, like sitting in the 10th row, whereas grado's are like sitting on the stage. Grado's are much better if you can't/don't get an amp but beware the comfort. Most people can't stand them after an hour (me included and I own SR-80's).

My preference is the SR-80 and SR-325. The 60's are too thin (no bass) and the models in-between aren't improved enough until you hit the 325's (personal favorite in the entire line, even above the RS-2).

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies so far. I want to use them mainly for when I want to listen to my HT late at night when it would be too noisy for others. Also, i may hook them up to my computer for music from time to time as my computer speakers suck.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You will want to determine the drive strength of your computer's headphone jack. My computer has a beefy amp stage (don't know how that happened!) and it's capable of easily driving most headphones (Senn HD580s, etc.). The lower end Grados are more efficient and can be used with virtually any source. Finally, the Etymotic ER-6s are very efficient plus they block 30dB+ of noise. I prefer the 580's SQ in this price range but the noise blocking capability of the ER-6s may be a strong feature (depending on where you do your listening). I have ER-4Ps that I use in my office and on airplanes and the sound blocking definitely comes in handy!

canali

Agent
Just remember that the jacks of most amps SUCK and a separate dedicated headphone amp is the way to go.

I must suggest a great guy in Ontario....Dr.Lloyd Pepperton
who has a Ph.D in electrical engineering (he's actually an emeritus prof at a local university who started making tube gear on his own as a 'cottage industry' and it's grown by leaps and bounds...I have his Ear + Purist HD headphone amp
and it ROCKS (sometimes you wonder why you ever got speakers in the first place when you experience a great pair of cans and an equally great headphone amp)...his gear matches VERY well with low impedence cans like the Grado line (I have the sr335).

Just so a google search under Mapletree Audio Design
MAD for short and you'll find him.

Say hello to him from Joe in Vancouver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks