Headphones?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SeanN, Jul 17, 2003.

1. SeanN

SeanN Auditioning

My father is getting pretty hard of hearing and always has the tv volume up really loud so he can hear. My mother hates it up that loud. Is there any way to have my father on headphones (preferably wireless) at the volume he likes while my mother listens through the regular speakers at the volume she likes?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, because well-designed headphones can play cleanly at loud volume. Are you looking for specific model recommendations? I'm sure several here will be glad to help. (I like Koss, still.)

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

You would probably have to fine headphones that have their own volume control, because regular cans would rely on the T.V. volume control.[​IMG]

4. SeanN

SeanN Auditioning

Thanks for all the advice! I know next to nothing when it comes to headphones. How would such headphones be hooked up? Through the RCA jacks on the back of the receiver? Can anyone recommend any particular models?

5. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

There are a couple of ways of doing what you want, depending on your equipment and how you want it to work.
    first- I assume that you have the TV running through a receiver now, since you mentioned one in your post. You father could plug into the headphone jack of the receiver to power his headphones, while your mother listens to the built in TV speaker.
    Second- If your mother still wants to be able to listen to the TV thought he receiver, you can get an inexpensive headphone amplifier (I'm sure radio shack carries them). It could be connected by RCA cables to the tape out jacks on the back of the receiver, your father would control his volume through the control on the headphone amplifier while your mother would use the receiver as usual. neither one's volume control would affect the other.
    Finally- If you have no receiver, but your tv has line level outputs, you could hook the headphone amplifier to them. Your fathers volume control would still not affect your mothers listening, but hers would probably change his. So she would need to find a comfortable volume for her and pretty much leave it alone.

Hope this helped.

Steve