1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Headphones with pre-amp. How?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in adding headphones to my system, yet I have a pre-amp Sony E9000 and amp. Obviously I don't have a headphone out jack that is powered. Is there such thing as a headphone amp? How would I need to hook up such a thing to get sound. Thanks.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

2. Mike Wang

Mike Wang Auditioning

There's definitely such a thing as a headphone amp. Usually you just hook them up to the tape output of your preamp, or the second-zone pre-outs, if you have those. The headphone amp will have its own volume control and headphone jack. In fact, if you have a quality pair of headphones, a dedicated headphone amp will give you better sound than the headphone jack of a pre-amp anyway, since headphone jacks are usually an afterthought for most audio systems.
    For audiophile-quality headphone amps checkout Headroom at headphone.com. They sell a wide variety of headphones and amps to drive them and they can recommend something for your situation/budget if you call them up.