Headphone Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Hi my friend and I are looking for a set of headphones. It will mainly be used on minidisc and discmans. We're looking for a set that will be easy to walk around with and a set that will be used at home.

It would be good if the set for walking is stylish and light of course and I understand a compromise has to be made between sound and looks in this department.

As for the set at home we're looking more for quality.

Each set of headphones will hopefully be under $100CDN which will probably translate to $60-70. But going over that is okay if it really helps.

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Check out www.headwize.com for all your headphone needs.
    My own expierences is with the Grado SR125. Cannot go wrong with these, they may be a little more than what you want to spend but they do have some less models. The Sr 60s and Sr 80s. I think the 80s can be had for about $100.00 CDN so it may be within your budget.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I spent about a half hour each evaluating the Grado SR-60 vs 80s, with headphone outputs on receivers and portable players. I would say, if you plan on using them with a cheaper receiver that may not have as much attention paid to its headphone out, or are going to be using a portable without a headphone amp, then I would say go with the 60s. They sound incredible and are easy to drive.

4. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

I would second the Grados. I have the SR80s ($89 US) and picked them over the SR60s ($60 US) for a smoother sound. Another excellent choice is the Koss Porta Pro ($50 US I think). The Porta Pro is much smaller than the Grados and easier to carry around for use with a portable CD player yet it still sounds darn good. Below is a link to another good headphone forum.
    Regards, Nick
    http://www.head-fi.org

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    While I liked the sound of the Grado's (s60 and s80), I didn't find them very comfortable, even after a few minutes.
    Take a look at www.sennheiserusa.com for some other very good headphones.

6. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

B&O makes some small headphones that people have raved about.
    Am considering getting a pair for myself today.
    The downside? Cost about $150 US. But they're small, stylish and should work wonders with a portable...and they're portable themselves.

7. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I don't know much on the subject but I have a pair of AKG headphones in my room right now that sound great to me... but all I'm really comparing them too is cheap headphones that came with my cd player. And I don't even know what pricerange they're in because they were my dad's when he worked at a radio station. Just thought I'd add AKG to the list anyway because I've heard other people comment on them in other headphone threads and they sound great to me.

8. Howard_S

Wow the B&O looks really... (fill in the blank). It looks great. But $150US is definately out of my price range.

So would the Grado 60 be better than the 80s if I am to use it for minidisc playback? Are they not comfortable?

How 'bout Sony headphones? Are they really bad?

How 'bout JVC headphones? Are they any good?

I've been looking at the Sennheiser line but don't know which one to get that will fall into my price range.

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Sennheiser all the way! i love my HD580's, although they're out of your price range at $180. look at www.sennheiserusa.com for their different models-- every pair of 'phones they make are awesome sounding and exceptionally comfortable!

10. Howard_S

So every Sennheiser is good?

HD433Dynamic

HD400Headmax

HD470Headmax

HD400Live

HD495Silver Headphones

HD570Symphony

These models are taken straight from futureshop and are listed in order of price (least expensive to most expensive) The last two are a bit out of my price range. Is there a good place to get Sennheiser headphones?

Is there a sweetspot in terms of performance/price in the Sennheiser line keeping in mind that it'll mostly be plugged into a discman or minidisc player.

11. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Sennheiser makes plenty of crapy headphone models, including some of those you listed. They also make good ones. I own a pair of their Senn HD580s that I love but they are out of your price range. I also own Grado SR80s which is in your price range and I recommended to you in a previous post. I recommend you to to web site of Headroom (www.headphone.com) and read their evaluations of the headphones they sell. They call a spade a spade and provide very good descriptions of each of the headphones. I have no relationship with them other than as a customer. They are highly regarded in the headphone forums. Also have you gone to the headphone forums that you were given links to? That is where you are going to get the best information.
    Nick

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I've been using the Grado SR60 for about 5 years, and I think they're excellent headphones. For me at least, they're OK comfort-wise. My major problem with the SR60 is the cord, which is extremely heavy and not single-side. Also, since they are open-air phones, sound leakage to the outside can be a problem, especially if you take mass transit like I do for work. I use mine with a Panasonic portable CD player, and it has no problem driving them.

13. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Howard,

I have Sennheiser HD580's. No, not all Sennheiser models sound as good, and I would not spend that kind of money on headphones if you're hooking them up to MiniDisc, etc.

-JNS

14. Howard_S

So what would you guys recommend for hooking up to minidisc or discman players? I was all set to look deeply into the Grado until you guys started talking about it not being that comfortable.

How 'bout those stylish Sony and JVC headphones are they any good?

Oh and thanks for the links. I'm currently checking them out. A lot of information to digest though.

15. Howard_S

Man the Grados really ugly. I'm okay with them if it sounds good but my friend (girl) prefers something more stylish.

What is the best/cheapest place to buy Sennheiser headphones and or Grado headphones? Is the HD580 that much better than the 570? I guess I can stretch my budget if it really makes a difference. Unfortunately it'll be plugged into the crappy headphone jack of an MD player in most cases though. I personally don't usually use headphones when I listen to music. But my friend uses it a lot more than I do.

16. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

LOL the Grados are ugly hey! Yep they can get some getting use to. Comfort wise they can get uncomftorable on me too, after extended listens (anything over 3 hours). They are an open air design so sound will leak. A lot. Although I'm a big Grado fan it sounds like they are not for you. But do give them a listen, and also be careful of some lower end Sennheisers. My experiences are that some have a hard time getting to a realistic volume level...it depends on your portable unit too. Your best bet is to actually try the 'phones out on the player(s) you will use. Oh yeah, don't forget about the break in time. When I first listened to the Grados I was not too impressed but with 20-30 hours they started to really sing.

I forgot to add this, whichever headphone you decide on DO NOT get one that needs the 1/4 " > 1/8" adapter to listen to portable source. The bulk of the adapter itself makes it hard for it to sit straight and FIRM in the unit(or remote control)...over time your left or right channel will start cutting in/out. Unfortenetly, I know from experience.

17. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

For earbud types. I like my Sony MDREX70LP which are $80 Cdn
    http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/comme...&prrfnbr=29394
    These plug directly into the ears with some silicon earpads to form the seal. The bass response is utterly amazing for earbuds (a big weakness in all other earbud phones) because these phones are effectively closed type. Proper fit is important so if you can't get a good seal with the earpads, they will be super tinny, but the set comes with smaller and larger pads also. It may be harder share the phones though because your significant other may need to swap them the pads out for a proper seal.
    All of the cheaper Sony earphones are crap, but these are different. The sound quality is great for portable use...the cord is very short so you'll still want something else for home use, in which case get some SR60's.

18. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I second Ray's recommendation for the Sony earbuds. I used the same ones extensively while I was working in downtown Washington DC, commuting by subway / bus. Those earbuds work amazing. They sound great, including pretty impressive bass performance, and they block out most of the outside sound so all you hear is your tunes.

How well do they work? Flying one time, I was seated all the way in the back, right by the engine. Pull out the cd player & the earbuds, put them on and spin the music. It doesn't silence the engine completely, but it does quiet it down more than enough to that the main thing you hear is your tunes.

As for stylish, well that's for y'all to decide. I happen to like walking around without huge headphones sticking on my head, just 2 discrete cords coming from my earbuds.

$50 may seem like a bunch for a set of earbud headphones, but I'd buy these again in a heartbeat.

Andrej

19. Howard_S

Thanks guys I'll certainly look into the Sonys if I buy earbuds but since they're priced so high I'm thinking I'll just go with a nice pair of headphones.

Does anyone of you have experience with Senn HD490Live? These are the best ones I can find locally. I haven't been able to find any 570 or 580s.

You guys still haven't given me any places to buy the 580 at the cheapest prices. I would prefer Canadian dealer of course but it's not necessary. I went to headphone.com as suggested but their prices seem a bit high or is that the best you can get online without going to a shady site?

How 'bout Sony gear. Do I have to pay MSRP for all Sony gear?

20. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Howard,

I just ordered Sennheiser HD580 on special from Meier-Audio for US$155 shipped. The 580 uses the same drivers as HD600 ($400 list). The HD590 is also pretty good but seemed like a step down from HD580/600. The 570 and lower models do not even compare IMO, I would avoid them.

I have also had Sony MDR-V6 for quite some time and it is a good set but I thought the Senns were more detailed and refined and thought to give em a try.

Gil