Headphone jacks on RPTVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChuckDeLa, Dec 16, 2002.

1. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

As I was hunting for a widescreen TV this weekend (and not getting one due to having my credit rejected at every store [​IMG] ) I noticed that very few of them seemed to have headphone jacks. This is kind of an important feature to us since often one of us will be watching while the other sleeps, or works on something, or just doesn't want the distraction. In particular, neither the Sony nor the Panasonic I was considering seemed to have a headphone jack. Why is this? Or are they hidden in the back? Can anyone post which sets have headphone jacks and which ones don't?

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm not sure what sets have jacks or not but I do have an alternative suggestion. You could buy an adapter that changes the 1/8" jack on the headphone cable into male stereo RCA ends. Then you could just plug this into the audio out on the back of your set.

3. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

Yes, but that would involve crawling behind the set every time. Also, I'm not sure that doing that would also mute the TV speakers.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Well, you could like the cable on the floor so the headphone jack end is at the front of the TV. Every TV I've seen with RCA output jacks has the ability to mute the TV speakers..

YMMV

5. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

It's my understanding that you cannot simply connect headphones to the RCA stereo outs because the output is really low and you would not be able to hear much.

The alternative is buying some sort of headphone amplifier, assuming you don't have a reciever. Having looked for something similar before, I haven't been able to find anything cheap. If you do find a solution, let me know.