Headphone Amps....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the ever popular SENNHEISER HD-580's off eBay, and they should arrive shortly.
    I read some reviews about how they should be hooked up to a headphone amp for the best results. While I don't have a ton of money, it really woundn't be an option for me.
    Anybody out there have negative results byusing them with a portable CD player? I'm sure they'll sound just fine on my Sony reciever, but I plan to use them a lot on my portable walkman.
    Reguardless, I'm sure they'll blow my mind anyhow.
    Thanks!
    Chris

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

The 580s are 300 ohm phones. The Sony may run them ok. I have no problem running them on my Yamaha reciever, but the walkman may not muster up enough juice. And or use up batteries quickly.

3. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

I tried them with my portable CD player, along with some Koss KD80s or somesuch - the regular $20-30 variety.
    On the portable the Koss sounded much better. The sound from the 580s just wasn't all there. While they do work, I would not use the 580s with a portable CD player without an amp.
    Via any other means (receiver, PC), the 580s are incredibly good. Comfortable too!

4. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replys guys!
    So how much power do you think they will need at a minimum?
    Thanks again,
    Chris

5. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i agree with Graham. www.headphone.com will answer questions. my brother had the HD-600s and uses this portable 'phone amp. he likes it very much, but not as much as his Home Amp . it does the job well for portability purposes though.
    i personally own the 580s and LOVE THEM!!! can't get enough...but i may be investing in a home headphone amp by Creek Audio in the near future. if you're feeling crazy, email me and i'll give you this guy's email address who has a diagram on how to make an awesome DIY amp from $20 worth of RatShack parts!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.