What's new

Headphone Amps.... (1 Viewer)

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the ever popular SENNHEISER HD-580's off eBay, and they should arrive shortly.
I read some reviews about how they should be hooked up to a headphone amp for the best results. While I don't have a ton of money, it really woundn't be an option for me.
Anybody out there have negative results byusing them with a portable CD player? I'm sure they'll sound just fine on my Sony reciever, but I plan to use them a lot on my portable walkman.
Reguardless, I'm sure they'll blow my mind anyhow.
Thanks!
Chris

MarkO

Second Unit
The 580s are 300 ohm phones. The Sony may run them ok. I have no problem running them on my Yamaha reciever, but the walkman may not muster up enough juice. And or use up batteries quickly.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
I tried them with my portable CD player, along with some Koss KD80s or somesuch - the regular $20-30 variety.
On the portable the Koss sounded much better. The sound from the 580s just wasn't all there. While they do work, I would not use the 580s with a portable CD player without an amp.
Via any other means (receiver, PC), the 580s are incredibly good. Comfortable too!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i agree with Graham. www.headphone.com will answer questions. my brother had the HD-600s and uses this portable 'phone amp. he likes it very much, but not as much as his Home Amp . it does the job well for portability purposes though.
i personally own the 580s and LOVE THEM!!! can't get enough...but i may be investing in a home headphone amp by Creek Audio in the near future. if you're feeling crazy, email me and i'll give you this guy's email address who has a diagram on how to make an awesome DIY amp from $20 worth of RatShack parts!
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks