What's new

Head to Head tourney - SteveGon and Vickie_M (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I feel so privileged, getting to go up against SteveGon! All his choices are excellent films, and I haven't seen near enough of them, so this tourney has already done me good. If I "lose" to him I'll still have been exposed to some very good films. I hope my picks will jar some memories too.
We decided to stay away from major classics (such as Citizen Kane), HTF "Holy Grails" (2001, The Godfather, etc.), and movies that have appeared in Steve's other tourneys. We also tried to cull the very very obscure (in my case, War Hunt, One From The Heart and Tuvalu all got tossed since I'm the only person on HTF who's seen these films, I think!) though I still think there will be a lot of Abstains.
I hope you like our picks. We have 64 films in our tourney. Matchups were randomly generated.
Have fun!
Round 1. Bracket 1
American Movie
vs.
All the Mornings of the World
Round 1, Bracket 2
Topsy-Turvy
vs.
Black Rain (Imamura)
Round 1, Bracket 3
Peeping Tom
vs.
Slacker
Round 1, Bracket 4
Out of Sight
vs.
The Gods Must Be Crazy

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Uh oh, we're off to a bad start. :)
I myself would have to abstain in 3 of the 4 brackets, so I feel the pain.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Which Black Rain?
- If the one with Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia directed by Ridley Scott, then Topsy-Turvy
- If the title of the same year (1989) dealing with the aftermath of the Hiroshima bombing by Shohei Imamura, then Black Rain.
Out of Sight
abstain on the others.
- Walter.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Topsy-Turvy (only if it's the Michael Douglas Black Rain)
Peeping Tom
Out of Sight

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Which Black Rain? It's the 1989 Shohei Imamura version. Vickie, sorry for the confusion - I thought I'd specified that on my list. :)
Edit: Topsy-Turvy is the only film from those matchups I haven't seen. A local video store has it on DVD so I'll have to check it out.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Vickie, sorry for the confusion - I thought I'd specified that on my list.
Ack! You most certainly did, but since I typed the titles by hand from your PM to my Excel spreadsheet, I forgot to type (Imamura) in at the same time. Pardons!
I've counted Walter and Gabe's vote for Black Rain (Imamura). Rich, should I change your vote?
Steve, Topsy-Turvy is a lot of fun. Let us know what you think.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Please don't count my vote for Imamura's Black Rain, as I've not seen it. Put me down for abstention.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Out of Sight
I've only seen 1 movie from each of the other 3 matchups. Imamura's Black Rain has been near the top of my Netflix list for sometime, but it's been out of stock for as long as it's been on my list.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Ack! Hard to belive The Gods Must Be Crazy is getting trounced so badly! Sure, OOS is a good movie, but TGMBC is freakin' hilarious. You people got something against laughing? :D
I'm not sure if this has skewed the voting, but I know that some people view the movie as racist. How do you see it? I think it's a dubious assumption at best. Just enjoy the movie for what it is: a slapstick masterpiece. :)
Bill, thanks for tying up bracket one. :p) I get the feeling it's gonna stay that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks