What's new

He just restored The Ten Commandments, now Ron Smith wants to hear from you: What Paramount films yo (1 Viewer)

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Just sell your catalog to Llionsgate, it's the cool thing to do.

drrichardh

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard H Sutor
I missed out on being part of the original discussion but seeing Dana Martin's list of ten films worthy of blu-ray restoration I'm hoping these comments will still be relevant.

Shane is my #1 pick but for a reason not mentioned for any other title. It was the first Paramount film to be projected as a wide screen image even though it had been shot in academy ratio. It is my understanding this was accomplished through the use of a wide aspect ratio apature gate in the projector. I recall seeing this film as a 12 year old in my local theater in wide screen and being overwhelmed by the beauty of the cinematography. The current version of the film is the academy ratio and with the mono sound track. A stereo track was developed. It would be fantastic if a blu ray restoration of this film could include both versions to preserve this time of transition.

I'm also in favor of adding Strategic Air Command to the list. I have the VHS version which, while telling the story, falls far short of presenting the drama of the vista vision picture elements. Again I recall seeing this film during its first run and being struck by something that gets no notice in the 4:3 version. There on that immense screen was an interior shot of the B-36 filling it from wall to wall and greatly emphasizing the tiny crawl space inside that flying giant providing the only access from the front to the back of the aircraft. It was the only time I had a feeling of claustrophobia in movie theater.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A UK Blu-ray of DON'T LOOK NOW is due soon. I've read that DEEP END is due on DVD.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Blake Edwards' Gunn (1967) is a terrific Peter Gunn theatrical film that has never been released in any format in original aspect ratio. (No VHS, laserdisc, DVD, or Blu-ray has ever been released.) I understand a pan and scan version with French subtitles is currently available on Netflix. Even the soundtrack has long been available on vinyl and CD.

Gunn was written and directed by Blake Edwards(The Pink Panther, Victor/Victoria, Breakfast at Tiffany's) with screenwriting credit to William Peter Blatty(The Exorcist). Craig Stevens reprised his role as Peter Gunn from the TV series. Original music was composed by Henry Mancini(The Pink Panther, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Hatari) and included a new version of his celebrated Peter Gunn theme song. The Peter Gunn theme song by Mancini has been used in many films and TV shows since the 1950s. (The Blues Brothers is the first example to come to mind.)

Gunn has one of the catchiest movie posters ever, which would look great on a Blu-ray or DVD and help to sell the film:

Edwards also directed Breakfast at Tiffany's which has already been released multiple times in many formats and is expected on Blu-ray this fall.

How about restoring this entertaining noir starring one of the most famous TV private eyes of all time? Edwards passed away recently and I believe his legacy as a director/auteur is due for re-evaluation. Gunn includes certain recurring themes that were revisited in some of Edwards' other films like S.O.B. and Victor/Victoria.

There was apparently an international cut, different from the North American release, with a nude scene by Sherry Jackson(Make Room For Daddy, Star Trek), which tied into a pictorial promoting the film in that year's Playboy magazine. A studio release on BD or DVD could include the international cut shown in Europe and the apparently tamer North American version.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
These are all great titles. Here's my vote (seconding it from an earlier post) and hoping it moves up the list that Neil made:

The Parallax View

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
The titles I previously mentioned: One-Eyed Jacks, Strategic Air Command, Run for Cover. Plus, in no particular order: Chinatown, Sunset Boulevard, Seconds, Serpico, American Gigolo, Hud, The Elephant Man, Harold and Maude, Alfie (1966), The Tin Star, The Parallax View, Medium Cool, The Last Train from Gun Hill, A Place in the Sun, Roman Holiday, Hatari!, Bad Company, Shane, Nashville, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, Track of the Cat, El Dorado, The Revengers, The Hunt for the Red October, Bringing Out the Dead.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"I understand a pan and scan version with French subtitles is currently available on Netflix"--Not subtitles, the opening and closing credits of GUNN are in French, the film is in English, on Netflix Instant. The image is passable, in need of care; the movie, pretty good, certainly worthy of a release (one for Olive Films, perhaps, as it explores the Paramount catalog). It's not letterboxed but it didn't seem unduly cramped; I assume it's 1.85 and not 2.35. And no nudity, though the unusual situation with the credits would suggest that this is an international version.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
My picks:

1. The Court Jester

2. Wings

3. Diabolik

4. Top Secret!

5. The Elephant Man

6. Popeye

7. A Boy Named Charlie Brown (CCF/CBS library)

and if Paramount can do anything about the Republic library despite the Lionsgate licensing:

8. Welles' Macbeth

9. Betty Boop cartoons

10. The Quiet Man

Does Paramount have the rights to the 1977 animated feature Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure? The original release was distributed by Fox, but the copyright apparently reverted to Macmillian, which seems to have licensed properties to CBS. It would be nice to know who has the current video rights.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
patrick,

if we were to bring the negelected by lionsgate republic catalog into this i could easily come up with ten more, but i love the idea of betty boop in HD, take that WB and Disney!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Alright guys, Have I missed something? Post #90 and still no one has mentioned "[COLOR= #b22222]Raiders of the Lost Ark[/COLOR]"

Am I in the Twilight Zone? There was a time, not too long ago, when "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was always at the top of any Paramount want list...what happened??????????

Now, I could care less if any of the Indianna Jones film from the 80's came to blu-ray...but come on...not "One" request?

Times have changed

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's safe to say that sooner or later the Indiana Jones "quadrilogy" will go Blu, so perhaps need to mention it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
An aside that may not apply to this thread directly: please consider licensing to Shout Factory the films riffed in Mystery Science Theater 3000 that you guys have rights to for home video (obviously DVD, not Blu-ray). That would be The Deadly Bees (which you guys licensed to Legend Films for regular DVD release), The Space Children and Diabolik. Just three films, and MTS3K fans would be overjoyed. Thanks!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Re: Indiana Jones. My understanding is that the series is controlled by Lucasfilm with Paramount only distributing, so it's really a moot point for this specific thread. And as Bob said, we all know they'll come eventually, so why "waste" a spot on your Top 10 list, you know? And I'm saying this as someone who puts Raiders of the Lost Ark in his Top 25 favorite films, easily.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Not counting the desperately needed Republic catalog, which would easily occupy the first five slots...

1. The Conformist

2. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

3. Seconds

4. Sunset Boulevard

5. Chinatown

6. Nashville

7. Shane

8. To Catch a Thief

9. Don't Look Now

10. Rosemary's Baby

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by john a hunter

Would have to disagree with Oliver over the German releases of TFOTRE and presumably El Cid. The dvd releases I find almost unwatchable. Their BD counterparts are much much better though hardly first rate. Parts of EL Cid from the siege of Valencia are actually very good. You also get lossless sound for those great scores.You can even store the BD's in the flash old dvd boxes!!

Amazon UK is now listing both movies as BRDs due in May. I have no idea if they will be identical to the German discs or will come from entirely new transfers.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I for one didn’t mention Raiders (#1 on my all time top 5) or any of the Indiana Jones films, because well as my grandfather used to say paraphrased, that man (George Lucas) only has two cows, but only milks one all the time, sooner or later its going to run dry and he’s going to have to milk the other for all its worth. With Star Wars coming out this year, this is what Lucasfilm has left, and then there is the Spielberg factor to take in account on this as well.

Zolly, the statement that they should sell the catalog to Lionsgate because it’s the cool thing to do, in a few words, uh NO! Name one pre-70 blu that Lionsgate has released, I personally can’t think of any, and only wish that Paramount could get the Republic catalog back.

As this thread continues, I am curious as to what the final ten that we come up with, and how it coincides with what Paramount has planned, and hope that Mr. Smith, will give some feedback.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb

Not counting the desperately needed Republic catalog, which would easily occupy the first five slots...
Oh totally, Pursued (1947) thanks, and Force of Evil. I beleive Pursued was restored in the mid 1990s, so it probably just needs a new 2K or whatever scan.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
Maybe you could release a proper set of the first six Star Trek films.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by FanboyZ

Just give us Friday The 13th 4-8 and we'll be good.

How about FRIDAY THE 13TH PART II with the violence that was cut to avoid an X-rating back in 1981 restored :)

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks