He is not evil, or How little brother saved the day

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarthH, Nov 23, 2001.

1. GarthH

GarthH Auditioning

Last week, another HTF memeber, posed a question in reference to being evil. He was seeking knowledege & understanding. Was he feeling guilty? Was his advice misleading? Did he feel as though his recommendations were above my means?
    The member I refer to is KeithH, he is my younger brother & has been involved in music since 1982, both as a musican & an active listener. I will admit that I was not prepared for the level of enthusiasm he quietly possesses. Not only is he an aficionado, he is very knowledgeable, as well. Now I realize that I do not have to expand on that last point, a larger majority of you fellow users know that KeithH has been posting here for quite a while.
    Back to our discussion...Last weekend, my wife & I invited Keith to our house. Since he accepted our invitaion, I figured I could pick his brain towards sonic improvement. My "system" was young & in it's infancy when he walked in the door. There was a state of the art flat-screen television & an advanced multi-channel, high-powered A/V receiver as a foundation. From there, the other items were certainly not in the same league of capable performance. My wife was not even pleased with the "system".
    When he arrived last Sat. (11/17/2001), the three of us sat down & began listening & discussing what was not happening. The three of us agreed that a speaker upgrade & a better DVD player would yeild great enjoyment. so, off we went.
    Fortunately, there are two better electronic retailers within a 25 min drive. Our first stop was not very moving, while we sampled some nice components, Keith pointed out the policies of the store were not very cooperative to the end-user (moi).
    From there, we headed to our second stop (this should have been our first & only stop). We were greeted with professionalism, courtesy & knowledge. Our sales consultant was very helpful. This were Keith's ability & knowledge came into play. He pointed out various deficiencies of several speakers we sampled. After 2 hrs, I decided to invest in a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2 monitors & a Sony DVP-S9000ES SACD/DVD player. Both items certainly will be a welcome addition to my strong foundation.
    Later, Sat. night, we set up my new toys. Even though it was 1:30am!!, the difference was amazing. Of course, we added premium interconnects & I will expand upon that at a later time. We spent some time tinkering with the system on Sunday & felt we were honestly satisfied. Until Keith left.
    It was after his departure, when my wife & I realized the substandard center channel was hindering performance. On monday, I contacted my very helpful sales consultant & ordered the matching Enegry Veritas 2.0 center channel. At the same time, I upgraded my main speaker cables from MosterCable OMC to MonsterCable M1.2. What a difference. The system is really kicking & my wife is extremely pleased too.
    Keith, you are not evil at all. You shared your hard-earned knowledge & the improvement was well worth it. Kudos to you!! [​IMG]

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    oh my god! Dude, lower your font size.

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

HTF for the hard of hearing [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Garth, thanks. I appreciate the kind words and was glad to help. Glad to see you joined the HTF. This is a great place to talk/learn about audio.
    By the way, what font size did you choose for your post? A little on the big side, perhaps? [​IMG]

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I'm deaf, I'm deaf!!!
    Lawsuit!! [​IMG]
    Dan

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thats great that someone imparted audio wisdom which has improved your enjoyment. Could it be that your PC is set up to use larger fonts for your benefit?

7. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

*Mal begs the admins to permanently fix the font size to one setting* [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Mal

8. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Garth, we know how much you love you brother. You can now return to your previously selected font size... [​IMG]

9. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Man, that was like a movie trailer.

Awesome.

Be glad to have an older brother.

Be glad.

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

star wars intros...eat you heart out!