HDTVs v/s CRT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Gau, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    I'm in the market for a 27" TV.
    there are only 3 brands of HDTVs i could find in the 27" size.
    I would be interested in more opinions on hdtv's from people around here also. Due to room size and financial limits I cant afford anything larger than a 27"-30" tv.

I looked at a non-hdtv ( a 27" wega) but wasnt impressed. To tell you the truth, looking at a 27" and a 24" wega side by side, i got the feeling that for regular (non-HD) tv the larger 27" is actually a bit more grainier than the 24". the 24" looks much smoother. my uncle has a 60" rear projection that looks fantastic on HDTV but during regular broadcasts its pretty frightning. my personal feeling is that larger is not better. i prefer smoother.

Its a pretty solid argument to go for a HDTV but is there anything out there that can be had in a smaller size?
    I'm thinking of buying a 24"wega for now and holding that for 2 yrs till some more choises appear in the 27" hdtv line.

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

The relatively new line of Zenith HDTVs are very nice. I picked up one of the 32" 4:3 models for the family room (I watch movies on a CRT front projection system with 16:9 screen). I believe they have a 27" model called the C27V36 (with awesome Faroudja dcdi de-interlacing) or C27V37 (with built-in HDTV 8-VSB and QAM tuners). I was very impressed with standard NTSC picture quality and blown away by 1080i HDTV. These models include PIP and have a ton of inputs. All for under $1000. Sweet [​IMG]

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

The relatively new line of Zenith HDTVs are very nice. I picked up one of the 32" 4:3 models for the family room (I watch movies on a CRT front projection system with 16:9 screen). I believe they have a 27" model called the C27V36 (with awesome Faroudja dcdi de-interlacing) or C27V37 (with built-in HDTV 8-VSB and QAM tuners). I was very impressed with standard NTSC picture quality and blown away by 1080i HDTV. These models include PIP and have a ton of inputs. All for under $1000. Sweet [​IMG]

4. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

^^^^^There is no C27V37. There is however a C32V37(which is 32") that includes those features mentioned above. The C27V36 is the one I'm looking at and is the only 27" HDTV so far to include a DVI input so I'm looking into it as well, Stay away from the Samsungs though as I've heard bad reviews and they seem to only have an S-video input on the side and not the back, no big deal to some but would bug the hell out of me.

On, and reguarding the 24" vs 27". Smaller analog TV's will always(for the most part especially both being sonys) look better. The larger screen shows the flaws more because it is just that, larger; therefore you can see them easier. That's why there are comb filters, because way back when TV's weren't larger than 20" and didn't show the scanning lines but now that they are larger they do.

5. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator