HDTV's Local Spokesperson

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Overholt, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

So, I read this in the paper this morning, and I wanted to share it. It woke me up.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/living/ore....ssf/html_stan
    At first, I thought this was great, but then it went downhill. I am only the messenger, so don't shoot me, but I thought it would be nice if we could get together and send him one nice reply and hopefully he'd do a follow-up.
    The bunny-ears was cute, but all of the HDTV stations here are UHF, and picking them up with a VHF antenna has its problems, to say the least.
    The other part that really bothered me was about the bandwidth for cable. This has been discussed here before. I originally maintained that HD signals over CATV lines took up a lot more space, but I have been corrected and learned that an HDTV channnel takes up 1/10 of the space of an analog signal.
    Of course, his email is on there, and we could all just let him have it, but just as long as all of our stories are the same.
    Glenn

2. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

I did think the article was all that bad, it's a bit on the sarcastic side but all in all he really didn't put in any misconceptions in the article.

Are you sure an HDTV channel only takes up 1/10 the space of an analog channel? Because HDTV is transmitted at over 19 Mbps I'm not so sure that is right. I've always heard that HDTV channel does in fact take up between 5 and 6 SDTV channels worth of space.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It wasn't me that started it. I had originally read that HD took up more bandwith space, and someone replied back (to a thread here) that it took up 1/10th of the space. Others quickly agreed with him, and having no proof, I had to drop any protests. I just tried doing a seach, but I think that thread is gone. We lost about a month's worth of them last year.

Maybe I'll luck out and they'll see it.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see what the CATV companies do. As for me, I'm gradually working on dumping my local CATV stations altogether. I can get most of them on Directv as locals, but we had a snowstorm last week and I couldn't pick up crap on the sat, so OTA is the way to go!

Glenn

4. Marque D

Maybe so, this was kind of the first time I ever heard of it taking up less room. But if anyone knows I would really like to find out. I do a search over at the AVS Forum to see if I can find out.

Marque Dailey

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

It may be possible that an HD digital signal takes less bandwidth than an ntsc analog signal, but it does take more bandwidth than a Standard definition digital signal or an ntsc signal on a digital cable system.

6. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

I may just be having a "senior moment" here, but I could swear that I remember reading that an HDTV signal uses just about exactly what is required (6 MHz -- that I know for a fact) that an NTSC signal uses. Or, the bandwidth can be divided into 5 standard definition digital channels.

7. Marque D

Chris you are correct on the 6 MHz being the same size as the current analog NTSC broadcast but that only applies to OTA. But I don't think Cable and Satellite use radio frequencies that way.

8. Chris Moreau

Marque,

Yes, satellite is very different, since the ku band systems are all digital, they can adjust the size of their "channels" to whatever is needed for the data rate. However, standard cable television, of the non-digital flavor, uses the same rf channel bandwidth as OTA. It has to, in order to work with "cable ready" sets. Of course, they don't use the same frequencies. The only ones in common are the VHF channels 1 through 13. The mid-band channels (cable channels 14 through 20 something) lie in the large gap between channels 6 and 7. And then the superband channels start where VHF channel 13 leaves off. The UHF channels are not used, to my knowledge. One thing that is different about analog cable, though, is that they reduce the bandwith of the analog data itself in order to avoid adjacent channel interference.

Now, with all that said, I freely admit that I don't know what the heck the cable channels do for digital service, although I suspect it's something akin to the satellite systems.

9. Marque D

Chris,
    Excellent post, very informative. [​IMG] But to my knowledge (out side of the 8-VSB cable standard for delivery of Digital Television Channels) all DTV channels are put on the cables company’s digital spectrum or line.

10. Chris Moreau

Of course, you're right, Marque. Thanks!