What's new

HDTV's by "LG"... thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Maul

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Kocher
I've been browsing some HDTV's by LG recently and was wondering if anyone has had any bad experience with them? They seem to be decently priced with good contrast and picture quality.... but I don't normally buy stuff outside of the realm of the usual name brands...

any thoughts?

Here is the model I'm looking at... LG 42" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Model: 42LB5D here are the specs according to best buy:

Product Features

16:9 widescreen aspect ratio and 6 selectable viewing modes deliver a cinema-style entertainment experience

3-2 pulldown for accurate reproduction of film-based movie sources

XD Engine combines 6 distinct processes that improve brightness, contrast, detail and color, as well as reduce signal noise for high resolution and cinema-like images

5 picture modes and 4 color temperature modes make it easy to enjoy a custom viewing experience

Black Stretcher extends black levels in bright scenes for enhanced picture contrast and detail

Super IPS technology reduces common distortion and blurring caused by fast-motion video

Intelligent Eye function adjusts brightness based on ambient light levels

3D digital comb filter delivers state-of-the-art detail and color enhancement

SRS TruSurround delivers a virtual surround sound experience through dual 10W speakers

Auto volume leveler prevents volume fluctuations and is ideal for night viewing

Ultraslim LCD measures 3-1/2" deep; comes with a table stand or can be mounted on a wall (with optional VESA mounting kit, not included)

PC video input lets you connect your computer to experience high-resolution images

Inputs: 1 RF (rear), 2 composite video (side, rear), 2 S-video (side, rear), 2 component video (rear), 3 HDMI (rear), 1 PC (rear), 1 PC audio (rear), 1 USB (side)

Outputs: 1 audio (rear), 1 coaxial digital audio (rear), 1 optical digital audio (rear)

V-Chip parental controls keep children from being exposed to undesirable material

ENERGY STAR compliance assures a high standard of energy efficiency

Other convenient features include closed captioning, manual clock, favorite channel and sleep timer functions

What's in the box: 42" 1080p flat-panel LCD HDTV, table stand and universal remote

Product Details
Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year
Product Height 29-3/5" with stand (27-1/10" without)
Product Width 40-3/5"
Product Weight 60.6 lbs. with stand (50.7 lbs. without)
Product Depth 11-9/10" with stand (3-3/5" without)
TV Type LCD flat panel
Screen Size 42"
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Display Type Flat-panel LCD
Built-In_DVR No
Digital Cable Ready No
Digital Capabilities HDTV with QAM tuner
Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Vertical Scanning Lines (Native Mode) 1080
Contrast Ratio 10,000:1
Brightness 500 cd/m²
Comb Filter 3D digital
USB Slot Yes
Digital Convergence Yes
HDMI Inputs 3
DVI Inputs No
S-Video Inputs 2
Component Video Inputs 2
Composite Inputs 2
PC Inputs 1
RF Antenna Input 1
Audio Outputs 3
Watts/Channel 10
Speakers 2
Simulated Surround Yes
Sound Leveler Yes
Language Options English, French, Spanish
V-Chip Yes
Sleep/Alarm Timer Yes
Remote Control Type Universal

If I'm posting this in the wrong place, please re-direct me!

-Craig

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Probably as good or better than any of the Korean competition, but I just can't get past that they are still Lucky Goldstar despite the new logo. LG seems to have parts/service availability problems across their product lines from what I've read recently. I was looking at their laundry offerings recently and the specs were really nice on their products. I picked, at random, three or four repair places from the local yellow pages and called and asked if the worked on these machines......NONE would. I purchased another product. Just my two cents.

Mort

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Not too familiar with their TVs, but they own what's left of Zenith. I'd buy an HD ChromaColor set if they put one out! :)
(How bout a System 3 with Space Command?)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
If I were you, I'd take a look at the Panasonics. I purchased a 50" Panasonic plasma about a year ago. I compared the picture quality of it to an LG as well as a Samsung. The picture on the Panasonic was much sharper in my opinion. The LG and Samsung pictures seemed to have a "soft" look to them. If at all possible, do a side by side comparison and see what you think. The best advice I can give you is research each over and over before you decide which direction to go. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks