hdtv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jimk, Jul 9, 2002.

1. jimk

jimk Auditioning

HEY EVERYONE,ITS BEEN A FEW YEARS SINCE MY LAST POST....BUT I AM LOOKING TO PURCHASE AN HDTV OR HD READY TV. I HAVE JUST REFINANCED MY HOUSE SO I HAVE A BIT OF MONEY. I WOULD LIKE ANY AND ALL ADVICE ON WHICH ONE TO BUY. THANK YOU GUYS.

JIM K

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

First, please find that caps lock key on the keyboard, and tap it into the "off" position. Thanks.

Now, in order to answer such a question with any degree of success, it would be helpful if you gave us some information regarding your situation. The "best" HDTV for one party may be among the "worst" for the next.

(The more info you give, when asking questions, the better you will be able to trust your responses. I find this is almost always true.)

Questions:
    1.) What is your budget?
    2.) How big is the room?
    3.) What do you currently watch? Cable? Satellite? Over the air? DVD? VCR? Laser Disc? What do you watch the MOST? What percentage would you say you watch any of the above?
    4.) What do you THINK you will be watching in the future? Cable? Satellite? Over the air? DVD? VCR? Laser Disc? What will you watch the MOST? What percentage would you say you think you will watch any of the above?
    5.) Is the room this is going in a dedicated Home Theater? A family room? Does it have windows? Is there a lot of ambient light, and can it be controlled?
    6.) How do you feel about those "black bars" at the bottom of the screen on some widescreen images? Do you find them annoying?

The above will enable others here to at least get started.

-Bruce

3. jimk

jimk Auditioning

sorry about the caps......anyway....
    1.my room is a family room approx 23x16 with windows front and rear.
    2.i watch about 50% satellite 50%dvd
    3.no i don't care for the black bars so am considering a 16x9 set
    4. i currently own a mistubishi 65 inch tv about 5 years old.
    5.my budget is between 4-8 thousand.
    6. i mainly am looking for a great picture..and i don't want it to be out dated in a year.
    7.i don't know if i should go hd ready or hd.
    hopefully this should get me going.
    by the way thanx for taking the time to help....i have 4 kids a wife a house and work roughly 90 hours a week so i don't have much time for reviewing or checking out tv's.