Hdtv

Jerin

Auditioning
Hai,

somebody can explain what is HDTV,Digital Tv and how does it differs from normal CRT TV

Thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
U.S. HDTV is digital in the way is is transmitted over the air. HDTV is also digital for most of the production path from camera to transmitter, these digital techniques are finding their way into NTSC and PAL video production as well.
When it gets to the TV set it is turned back into an analog video signal that is substantially the same as regular NTSC or PAL TV except that there are lots more scan lines. The same kind of picture tube ane electron beam are used in most cases.
For flat panel digital displays such as LCD, and also LCD and DLP projectors, HDTV can omit the conversion to analog, or both HDTV and regular TV video signals as analog can be turned (back) into digital.
If you have changed your computer between 640 x 480 regular VGA and 1024 x 768 extended VGA, that gives an idea of the difference between standard definition and high definition TV.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
somebody can explain what is HDTV,Digital Tv and how does it differs from normal CRT TV
First, Welcome to the forum!
Second, CRT is not a Television format- rather it is a type of process used for TV displays. HDTV is a television format, and can be displayed using a CRT display.
First you should understand in the USA currently we use a video system called NTSC. That system is basically just a set of standards that dictate the possible resolution and the framerate of the video signal. This standard has been around for decades, and is the format for all video material in the USA (VHS, DVD, TV, SAT, Cable- whaatever- they all conform to the basics of NTSC standard, so thay can work with your TV set).
DTV is a new standard. First off, it makes the TV signals carried digitally, instead of the old modulated analog method. Within the umbrella of DTV there are several available sets of resolutions available. Some of those sets of resolutions are much much better than our current TV standard- offering better picture quality. The top 2 resolutions available in the DTV standard are know as HDTV- or "High Definition Television".
What this means, in a nutshell, is that we are changing the way TV signals are handled and broadcast in this country. In the process, we're adding available resolution to make TV look much more lifelike. In terms of practical info- HDTV is over twice the available resolution of NTSC video- and for some who have spent a lifetime with Analog Cable and VHS- HDTV wold probably offer a four-fold increase in picture quality!
NOw, you mentioned CRT above. You should understand CRT is a display type- and doesn't dictate what format can be show upon it. NTSC is often shown on CRT based sets- but it is possible for a CRT type display to display HDTV (although, your current TV set probably isn't able to handle it). Don't get confused between the video format and the display type!
Since you are new to this forum, might I suggest checking out the Primer for Home Theater Newcomers:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55635
It contains tons of info you might be curious about- including a basic introduction to HDTV:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...754#post523754
-Vince

Jerin

Auditioning
Thank you guys for your convincing reply.

I think I should have done some more browsing and reading before posting my Question.

Finally I must say that,This's agreat forum.I have seen many but this one stands out !!

Keep it up:b

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70MM Ultra pana