Hdtv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Jan 28, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Question about HDTV compatability and the future. When HDTV finally goes regional and NTSC stops, how will people with analog TVs get the feed. There is no way that congress and the whole HDTV world would expect that everyone buy a new TV. I thought that I read somewhere that there would be converter boxes so that you wouldn't have to buy a new TV. If this is true, are there any out there now. I just bought a 32" TV because I didn't want to spend the cash for an HDTV. But in a few years I am not sure I will be ready to buy a new TV. How is this going to work? Thanks.

Mike

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

All HDTV boxes downconvert to 480I. By then in theory you should be able to buy a downconversion STB for less than 100 dollars.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Scenario 1. Even people with today's "HDTV sets" need a set top tuner box to receive HDTV because the HDTV set has a built in analog tuner but no built in HDTV tuner. This same set top box they own will plug into their older TV in the bedroom (in some cases a VCR is needed in between).
    Scenario 2. A form of television armageddon. Hollywood pressures the FCC to allow scrambling of HDTV so that by 2006 all set top boxes in existence today (they haven't invented the unscrambling mechanism yet) will output only 480i, the same signal that they would use to feed an older analog TV with. To receive HDTV, everybody, regardless of what kind of TV they own today, would have to buy a new set top box where all the HDTV shows are pay per view.
    Scenario 3. Most likely NTSC analog broadcasting won't stop in 2006 when it is scheduled to stop. It depends on there being receivable HDTV in most areas of the country including most rural areas. Since the HDTV channels are in the UHF frequency range, their coverage has been more limited and higher transmitter power needed to get the coverage they already have compared with VHF and the lower UHF channels. Also AFAIK the nature of ATSC digital TV is such that the coverage area for a minimally viewable picture is smaller than for NTSC analog broadcasting were it done and were it receivable from the same transmitter, frequency, antenna, tower, and location.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm