What's new

Hdtv (1 Viewer)

MikeLA

Auditioning
I am fairly new to the HT world and have been learning a lot from the fourm. I have a receiver that I am planning on using for a HT. But, how do I know if it will work for HDTV if I want it later? I haven't done anything with HDTV and I have no idea how to connect it or what cables I would need. The TV I have is HDTV "ready". It has component video inputs I was going to use, but no HDMI or DVI? The receiver also does not have HDMI or DVI, but it does have component inputs and monitor outputs I was going to use. But, will this set-up allow me to use HDTV in the future if I want? What other equipment do I need? My current SAT is a DVR, but may get a HDTV soon. Can I only get HDTV if I have HDMI outputs and inputs on my receiver and TV? I am very confused about all the specs and info about HDTV, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Thanks for your time!!

Mike

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Mike great ferry you have there in Manitowoc have sailed across Lake Michigan several times on the Badger lots of fun.

Now to your questions. I am new to this stuff too so I'm far from a "professional" TV guru however several questions need to be answered. What is the make and model of your TV, and your receiver?

HDTV ready means that it can display HDTV signals, but the TV does not have an internal tuner to decode the HDTV signals. You will need a OTA (over the air) or a HDTV satellite receiver to decode the HD signals. Some TV's will allow HD input over component 720p or 1080i and display the HD signal. What you gain with HDMI is a digital transfer of data with component it is an analog signal that will be converted to digital at the TV.

There are some satellite receivers and OTA receivers, and some DVD players that will output a 720p or 1080i signal over analog component cables.

Receivers typically "pass through" component signals so if say you have your HD receiver set to output a 720p signal over its component out to the receiver then on to your display's component input then you should be able to receive HD signals at your TV.

You will need to connect the appropriate audio out from your source to the receiver to get the benefits of "HD" sound.

Hope this helps and I have not confused you further.

And to others if I completely botched this please be gentle and provide correction.

MikeLA

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply!

To answer some of your questions, my receiver is a Sony STR-DE998 and my TV is a 53" Hitachi Ultrascan rear projection.

I understand that I will need either an over-the-air or HDTV satelite box to get HD, but I would need to look at my TV's manual to see what resolution my TV will accept through component video, right? Since HDMI and DVI are not options I have, this is the only way to connect it, right? And if my TV accpets 720p or 1080i through component video cables then I should make sure the HDTV receiver or DVD player output this through the component cables too. If my TV does not accpet 720p or 1080i through component cables then do I need a new TV if I want to go to HDTV with my current receiver? Does this sound right?

Thanks for your time.
Mike

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

If your tv is "HDTV ready" it will accept one or both of these. That's what "HDTV ready" means.

brac

Agent
A model # for your tv would help. Mostly it sounds like you got it but in addation to dvi and hdmi plugs there are aso IEEE and a few others, which is the "lack of a standard" which is the real problem. However it hard to know for sure what you need till you decide on what your HD sources will be. But the quickest and easyiest way to see an HD picture on your TV is to find the specs, and see what it will show i.e 720p 1080i..... and you could gen an upconverting dvd player that gives HD out over coponent.. There aren't alot of them that do it, but prices arent bad. I would get some advise on here before shoping for one.
Brac

MikeLA

Auditioning
Wow, you guys are good.

I just finished looking online for the manual for the TV. According to the manual it will accept 720p or 1080i from component lines. The model number is 53UWX20B.

I am looking for a DVD player and would like to price out the upconverting models and the regular ones. If anybody has any reccomendations on the upconverting models that output via component (if there even are any), I would really appreciate it. Or as one of you suggested maybe it's not worth the extra money. What do you think?

At this point I am thinking about getting an over the air receiever for HD, and in the future maybe upgrading my satelite receiver to HD. I'll have to look at some over the air receivers and see what they output and if component cables will work.

Thanks for all your help!
Mike

jeffBe

Auditioning
component connection will give you high definition.its just a step below dvi in quality.my tv only excepts component or s-video.i have a hdtv satellite tuner,it excepts component connection and a dvi connection.;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I have a Samsung 850 model that can output over component with a minor modification (Google Samsung component HD hack). There were some Zenith models that do the same thing. Most of these are scarce now, but I got my Samsung at Circuit City back in December.

MikeLA

Auditioning
So, are there other ways to get 1080i or 720p over component other than buying a DVD player that you can hack. From what I have been reading on this forum and others, there are copyright issues with DVD players that do this, right. So it sounds like they are not making any that do this any more. Does anyone know of a model that still does this without hacking it? I'll look into the Samsung. Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A few things for you to consider Mike:

Right now you can get HD from cable, satellite or OTA to your TV (using component connectors). You will (likely) not be able to get HD from either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray unless the manufactures and studios decide not to enforce the HDMI (or DVI that is HDCP compliant) requirements without the output being less than full HD.

Your concern seems to be to get standard definition DVD in 1080i format from a DVD player that will upres the signal. This can be done with ‘hacking’ any hardware. You can buy switching equipment that will convert digital DVI to analog component signals, although this is not exactly cheap. And it won’t work for anything that needs to be HDCP compliant. But it would work for your purpose.

You might also consider picking up a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player. True enough the analog (component) output will be downrezed from full HD, but the signal will still be better than standard DVD. And in any case, uprezed DVD is not HD, as there is no more information available from the DVD than can be obtained via a 480p player.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Mike here is a new player that may serve your needs.

I'm not sure how it performs though, reviews seem not to highly rate this model, but as they say take the reviews with a grain of salt and YMMV (your mileage may vary).

This could be an option for you to consider.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Dear Mike,

You have some good questions and valid concerns.
The delays of HD DVD and BlueRay are over these same exact issues.

It seems that the movie industry is pushing for HDCP protocols (high bandwidth digital content protection) via DVI or HDMI compliant devices.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-11-2004.html

Your TV does not conform to this and you may not be able to get full HD material if the movie industry has their way.

Here is an article that goes into more detail.

I would plan on selling your display or moving it into another room where HD material will not be necessary.

I wish I had better news but until the new players are released, it is hard to believe that HDCP will not be enforced eventually. Counterfeit software makes up 90% of the market in Asia and the movie industry is not likely to leave this door open to them if they can help it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks