1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hdtv

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndrewB, Jul 10, 2003.

1. AndrewB

AndrewB Auditioning

I'm looking for a mid-30 inch flat screen either HDTV or HDTV ready. Somewhere close to the $1500 range. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Here's where to ask this question.

What models interest you so far?

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

As it has been about nine or 10 months since I was actively looking my prices may be a bit off, but Samsung makes a 30”, 16:9 flat screen HDTV to which you will need an external ATSC tuner (for the HD and other digital signals). It is very nice and comes in at under $1,500 (probably less now).

There were some reports from some owners about a noticeable vertical line or two in the display, but I have not experienced this flaw.

The picture quality is quite good at this price point. DVDs look very fine, although I think that you would benefit from a progressive scan player here, as the line doubler is not so good as some other makes. I consider the fact that the only S-Video input is on the side of the set to be a drawback. But others may not feel this way.

Panasonic also makes a 30”, 16:9, flat screen HDTV model that also needs an external tuner to be complete for HDTV. I consider its picture quality to be slightly superior to the Samsung, but it has been a while since I made the comparison. It cost about $1,700 and I expect that it might have dropped to your budget by now.

I have no personal experience with this set.

I expect that you would be pleased with either set.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If your looking for an HDTV I would wait because the "new" models of TV's are just starting to come out. Right now Sony has out a 34" Wide-Screen HDTV for around $2,000 & if the Sony is $2000 I'm sure other brands of 34" will be a lot less. Samsung is also suposed to be coming out with a 34" HDTV shortly. Again, I would wait for "ALL" the new models to come out & on any HDTV set I would make sure it has the "DVI" Input on it.

5. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I'm going to have to recommend the Sony 32-HS500. You can get it at circuit city for around $1299. I have been more than pleased with mine. Click below for some pictures.

6. Agustin

Agustin Agent

Check the samsung 32" is about $1200 is HD and 16:9