What's new

HDTV with no Video Out., Tivo? (1 Viewer)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Here is my situation,

I have a built-in HDTV from RCA (38inch Direct View) while the set has been really good its draw back is no Video Out.

Just browsing through Tivo's site I came to this

Tivo Installition

First question, is this correct for my situation. I am getting digital cable installed (pending for next week)?

Another one would be, with this set up is it also correct for me to record VHS tapes from the programming in Tivo's hard-drive.

And lastly a two-parter, will this also be the set-up if I decide to purchase a DVD recorder and the 2nd part is off-base but if I purchase a DVD Recorder with a built in Hard-Disk am I better off then purchasing the TiVo DVR.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Raymond

Gene S

Agent
First, some questions.
I have a built-in HDTV from RCA (38inch Direct View)
Your TV has a HD tuner integrated in your set?
Are you currently viewing HDTV?
If so, is it from an external antenna connected directly to your TV or is there a set-top-box (STB) in between the antenna and your set?
You say your TV doesn't have video out, you really don't need that. Whats important is if it has video in. How many sets and what types of inputs. Like component,s-video,composite or just RF(cable). Also what kind of video ins/outs does your VCR have.

As far as how everything gets connected, it all depends on your equipment. And on the box that the cable company is going to give you.

Now for some answers...
Since you said you are getting digital cable I'm assuming you don't have or plan on getting satellite. (If DirectTV was involved these answers would be different)
There is no stand alone Tivo that can record HD content.
Tivo can dump things it recorded to a vcr. Although it is done real time and you can only do 1 program at a time. (No batch savings)
Pioneer and I think another company has a DVD recorder with Tivo built in. So you can use it like a Tivo and then save it onto a DVD. Again no high def.

As far as how everything gets connected, it all depends on your equipment. And on the box that the cable company is going to give you.

Post some specifics and I'll be glad to help you out and welcome you to the Tivolution! :D

Gene

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator

Post some specifics and I'll be glad to help you out and welcome you to the Tivolution!
I understand about the equipment and apoligize for it. I have no clue on the cable box that is coming, but is it safe to assume that it will be able to suport TiVo with my current set-up?

Again, thanks for your help.

Raymond

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks