HDTV, What?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Justin-Gz, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Justin-Gz

Justin-Gz Auditioning

Ok so I am just getting my very first HDTV and am really confused, right now I only have regular cable and a cablebox that is about 8 years old, now do I need to tell my cable provider comcast that I want to get HDTV channels or can I just buy a HDTV receiver (I'm thinking of going with the LG dual DVD player/ HDTV receiver), hook it up and I will be recieving the HDTV channels? If I have to go through Comcast and do an upgrade any idea how much HDTV will add to the cable bill?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You should contact your local Comcast provider for what they offer in your area. Typically, if you want the HDTV package offered by Comcast, you'll need to be provided with a new converter box (I think they are still using the Motorola DCT-5100) which provides the usually audio/video outputs to feed your TV (s-video/composite video), as well as the component output for the HDTV side.

In the Atlanta area, it was around $5 extra in addition to requiring you to be on one of their Digital Cable plans (Bronze, Gold, Platinum, you get the idea), plus the cost of premiums channels (HBO, Showtime, etc), and ESPN-HD which also incurrs a monthly fee (I think, though not sure). Anyhow, check with Comcast for the latest information and pricing structure.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Justin,

Where are you located? Comcast charges/channels vary according to geographic area. For instance, in Mass. they only charge $2 extra for the box and ESPN-HD is free.

Channels for Mass. are:

PBS-HD
    CBS
    ABC
    NBC
    FOX (only 480p)
    ESPN-HD
    INHD1/2
    NESN (Red Sox and Bruins home games on INHD2)
    HBO-HD (pay)
    Cinemax-HD (pay)
    Showtime-HD (pay)

4. Justin-Gz

Justin-Gz Auditioning

Hi I am located in Los Angeles, thank you for the replies guys. Does the comcast box have a DVI output?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

6. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    I feel I am getting ripped off.
    I live in Methuen, MA. and Comcast charges me $ 7.29 per month extra for the HDTV Box (Motorola 6200/2005).
    My complete Platinum Plus package costs me right around $97.00 per month.

Justin,
    If you go with your own HDTV tuner, you will only get the over the air channels (AKA; OTA). You need the Comcast Box to get all their lovely HDTV broadcasts.

Regards, Al.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Alan,

I'm in Weymouth. Don't know if it is the better box, but I have a DTC5100 and it's only $2 a month on top of the regular digital cable. A friend of mine lives in Fall River and he pays the same.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Isn't the 6200 a combination receiver and pvr? That may account for the higher rental vs the 5100, which is a receiver only.

9. Justin-Gz

Justin-Gz Auditioning

Thank you,

So would I be better off to buy my own receiver or just rent one through comcast in the short and long term sense? I was digging the LG because you can feed the DVD player and receiver to the TV with only one DVI cable and DVDETC. gave it really high marks.

10. Julio De Luis

Comcast in Los angeles offers the Motorola 6200, which has a DVI output and firewire. You are not paying for an HDTV package, because it does not exist, but for the rental of the convertor box. The rental fee is $5.99.

Currently what is being offered in the Los Angeles area of Comacast are:

ESPN-HD (free)
    INHD1 (1 and 2 require Digital premier package)
    INHD2
    KCBS
    KABC
    FOX
    KCET

PREMIUM CHANNELS - Require Premium subscribtion
    CinemaxHD
    HBO-HD
    Starz-HD
    ShowtimeHD

11. Justin-Gz

Justin-Gz Auditioning

Al, I was reading the review of the LG DVD player/HDTV Receiver and I may not be reading it right but my understanding of the LG is that you can receive not only the Over the air HDTV channels from an antenna but it also says "You'll be able to receive all OTA or in the clear signals without a separate cable HD box it also has a NTSC tuner so you can also receive all analog programming". Now I don't know if I am right but doesn't that mean I would get all the HDTV channels that I would get from the Comcast box? I don't want any of the premium HDTV channels my main concern is getting like CBS,ABC,WB,NBC HDTV. and also would the LG be ok for the longterm I.e. when other cable channels go HD? I am sorry if I have too many dumb questions I think I've almost got it all down. by the way anyone interested the review of the LG LST-3510A is on pg. 43 of the April DVD etc. issue, thanks for all the help everyone.

12. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

You're reading the review correctly, Justin. And there's a 99.999% chance that you will NOT be able to get any of your local HD channels over cable with the LG box. Most cable companies are using a different compression and modulation system for their digital HD cable than over-the-air braodcasts use. On top of that they usually put the HD channels up higher than OTA HD receivers can tune (in my area the Hi-def stuff is up at channel 770-790).

So, unless you want to put an antenna up, you're probably better off paying the six bucks a month to rent the box from Comcast. Good luck!

Adam

13. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Justin, you may want to ask someone at LG. Normally I would think that would mean that it would recieve the analog portion of the signal which would likely not include the HD stuff but TV's capable of recieving and decoding digital cable signals are just starting to be intoduced the LG box may have a digital decoder.
    The best thing to do would be to get a hold of someone at LG and then talk to your cable company. They may not be ready to support outside tuners yet because this is a very new thing and the last I heard Panasonic was going to be the first out of the gate with a new line of TV's.

14. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

OTA digital tv uses the 8VSB compression method whereas the vast majority of cable systems use something called QAM.

The LG boxes will decode QAM as well as 8VSB, so will work with cable HD signals. In addition to using QAM, some cable companies also scramble some or all of their channels, the LG boxes won't unscramble. The new tvs with the cable-card equipped tuners will do this if the cable company is set up for the cable card system. Don't know of any current stbs with cable card interface.