HDTV w/ Analog Signal: Bad Picture?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CraigD, Aug 3, 2002.

1. CraigD

CraigD Auditioning

I recently bought a 27 inch HDTV (Samsung TXM2796HF). I am mostly wathcing regular cable on it. In a case like this would a non HDTV of the same size look better?

I ask because to me the picture looks bad. It is sort of blocky/pixelated especially in areas of solid colors. Kind of look looking at a picture on a computer monitor if you have it set on a low number of colors.

II read some stuff about HDTVs showing the problems in bad cable signals, but it looks pretty much the same when I am watching a DVD from a non progressive scan player(composite hookup).

So am I nuts thinking it looks bad? The salesman told me it should look better than a regular TV even on analog signals because of the line doubler?

The reason I ask is because I am thinking of returning the set and getting a flatscreen analog of the same size. Extra cost isn't a consideration since I bought this TV on an open box discount for only $450. So would I be better off with a 27 inch analog for the same price?

2. CraigD

CraigD Auditioning

Oops, meant component hookup for the DVD.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Sounds like the set has problems. Yeah, you should get a better picture. Maybe we've discovered why it's an open box item.

At that size, that price range, I'd stick with a really good analog set.

Jan