HDTV vs HDTV Compatable Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

I will be upgrading my RPTV to a HDTV Widescreen in the next month or so but I have a question...When looking around,I noticed that some advertising will say HDTV while others will say HDTV Compatable.Is their a difference in the two?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

An HDTV is a fully integrated unit containing an ATSC/digital tuner that can receive, decode, and display standard- and high-definition broadcasts (480p, 720p, and 1080i--though few are able to display 720p natively). An "HD-capable" TV is a display that scans at the appropriate frequencies for showing standard- and high-def images but does not include a built-in ATSC tuner and decoder. With these sets, you must purchase the tuner/decoder separately.

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jack for the reply.Obviously,it's beneficial to go with the HDTV version.Regards...

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not necessarily, Sheldon. There are connectivity issues regarding cable's future participation in HD that have yet to be ironed out. If I were in your position, I'd consider an HD-capable set and a separate tuner. (In a worst-case scenario, a solution could be reached vis. the connectivity issue that would render your integrated HDTV obsolete--or that would certainly involve a costly upgrade.)