What's new

HDTV (undecided tech) advice needed (1 Viewer)

Tony Bee

Auditioning
I have recently gotten the audio portion of my setup, and am now looking to upgrade the video. I currently have a Toshiba 27" CRT, appx 6 years old displaying analog cable. The sound is provided by a nice Pioneer receiver and Athena speaker system hooked up with good quality cables. I will be upgrading to a larger TV capable of HDTV. An internal ATSC tuner is not all that important to me. I will most likely be upgrading to Comcast digital cable with HD, but I may decide on satellite in the end.

The setup right now is in my bedroom, as I live at home. However it will need to be large enough to fully satisfy my desires as I move into an apartment in the not-too-distant future. My usual viewing distance is about 9-10 feet away from the screen. Depending on the size and technology, which would dictate the placement, the main viewing angle will be slightly off to the left, but not by too much (15 degrees off center appx).

Most of the TV I watch is SD and will continue to be that way into the near future. I mainly watch animated programming, but do watch some other stuff as well. Because of the amount of 4:3 programming I watch, the display will need to either NOT be susceptible to burn-in, or have a damn good stretch mode. I will definately be watching a few network shows in HD. DVD's are also watched often and need to look good. I will be purchasing a new DVD player in the near future also, and may consider an upconverting if that will provide a superior picture. What I'm looking for is advice on technology and/or specific models to meet my needs. I'm strongly considering a 44-46" projection set, although I am not sure whether I should be looking at CRT, LCD, or DLP technology.

EDIT: I should add that I do not have a set budget. Under $3000 seems like a good place to start. I would consider something a little bit over if it was really worth it, but would not mind spending significantly less.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony Bee

Auditioning
Actually, I should clarify this. I did some more measuring and it probably is not possible to fit a CRT projection set. I believe I could fit a 44" LCD projection. I also am considering CRT tube sets, LCD/PLASMA/LCOS/DLP panels.

The Dell 42" HDTV plasma seems like a steal at under $3k but I don't know what kind of stretch modes it has, as I've never seen it in person. I also don't know what to expect as far as burn-in potential goes.

The Zenith 44" LCD projection set (E44W46LCD) at Best Buy looks pretty nice as well. I'm not sure if it can get burn-in, as I've heard projections can but LCD's can't?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
If burn in is an issue for you go with DLP. Check out my review of the Toshiba 46HM84. I have to say it does not make SD look wonderful though.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Also if you are not sure which type of set you should be looking at make sure you RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. If you are going to spend that much money take the time to know everything so you get exactly what you want. Sound and Vision just had a great article on Plasma Vs. LCD. My personal preference is towards Plasma and DLP. I examined many LCD TVs and found they were not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks