What's new

HDTV Tuners (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Whoa! That's pretty frickin' cheap! Of course now I wonder about their return policy (will have to check on their website). But that's about $200 less than I can get the Panny at my dealer!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The low cost of the Samsung was the final selling point for me, too. I was reluctant to drop $600 - $700 on a tuner, considering the amount of HD programming that I would be watching (I bought it mostly for the college football season, plus the Final Four and Masters next spring). I could deal with $400 to get my feet wet in HDTV.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on November 02, 2001 at 08:17 AM]

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. $400, This is a problem, because now I want one.
biggrin.gif
I think I'll be talking to the wife about this, in conjunction with an HDTV purchase.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"
[Edited last by Richard_Huntington on November 02, 2001 at 11:16 AM]

PaulKH

Second Unit
Just to make sure Carlo and Richard *REALLY* want one
biggrin.gif
I just had an attic antenna installed and I now get all 4 digital stations perfectly via my Samsung SIR-T150!!!!!
Drroooooooooooooooooooool.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You guys suck...
biggrin.gif

This is like an alcoholic asking other alcoholics if it's okay to have just one more drink.
wink.gif

Michael_Sit

Auditioning
I bought my Toshiba DST-3000 for $396 at Video Only in San Mateo, CA. Their everyday price is only $449.

Frank_K

Auditioning
I am curious as to why there is so little talk of the RCA DTC-100?
This unit has support for both DirecTV and OTA (and analog tuner as well?).
It can be found rather inexpensively as open box sales in stores such as Wiz, BB and CC for anywhere between $99 and $300.
Are these other, newer machines that much better?
Captain Frank

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Frank,
I believe the DTC-100 that I saw only has that 15-pin HDTV output, no component video output. Since my PT-47 doesn't have that other input (looks like a computer monitor input) I can't buy that one. I suspect quite a few of the new models (especially low end HD-ready sets like mine) don't have that input.

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo, you can still use the DTC-100 with your Panny but you would have to buy the RGB to Componet Adapter. I've seen them as low as $149 open box in Best Buy. The adapter is probably another $80-$100. Plus you may need a remote if you get an open box deal. I purchased my DST-3000 from a member here for $400. That deal at Video Only for $429 is a good deal. Go ahead and spend the money! Make your Panny shine like mine!
tongue.gif

[Edited last by Brian Mello on November 07, 2001 at 01:50 PM]

MoG

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Samsung the only one of the above mention STB's that can output 480p? (I have an SDTV and thus would need all OTA DTV signal received converted to 480p).

Thanks.

Brad Hood

Agent
>>For OTA only, what kind of antennas do you need? I'm in >>an apartment so I don't have access to a roof mounted >>one. I'm also in West LA, not a whole lot of super tall >>buildings, just a lot of 2 story apt complexes. Would >>that be okay for just OTA?
The AntennaWeb site has a tool for estimating what sort of antenna you will need based on your address and what kinds of structures are around you.
http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/
Brad

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Scott,

who did you talk to at bhphoto to get the samsung at that price? they have it listed for $599 on their web page.

thanks!

Mike PM

Auditioning
Craig,
I got 2 SIR-T150s from Vann's at $488. ea. plus $12. ups.
www.vanns.com
Great service.
You have to register on their site (it's free) in order to get that price. They were out of stock, but I believe they just received a shipment.
The $100. rebate was due to expire yesterday. I don't know if it's gonna be extended.

Mike PM

Auditioning
Craig,
Just went to the Vann's site and it does not seem to automatically offer that discount anymore.
Hmmm....:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks