HDTV Tuner with non HDTV dish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I have a seamingly simple question. I am thinking of buying a HDTV Tuner for my Directv. Can I use the HDTV Tuner with a non HDTV signal? I ask because I am currently arguing with my appt. complex about the HD Dish and being able to put it on my balcony(long story). I think I'll win, but in the mean time would the reciever be useable? Can I use it with my regular(apt provided) dish feed?

Thanks for any input.

Nick L

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Nick,
    The HD-capable DirecTV tuners will receive all the regular DirecTV channels you're getting now.

I'm going to assume here that the apt. dish feed is the regular 18" dish that only recieves signals from the 101 satellite?

If this is the case, you should be able to also get HBOHD currently, as it's now broadcast from that 101 satellite. HDNet and the PPV HD channel are on the 110 satellite and Showtime HD is on the 119 satellite so you won't get them.

HBOHD was recently moved to the 101 satellite and there's no guarantee how long it will stay there.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Also, you'll still be able to get Over The Air antenna HDTV broadcasts if you install an antenna. Depending on your market, that's a lot of free HD content you can grab.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If your appt. complex has a problem with the size, then you have the FCC on your side. The Satellite Home Viewer Act (I can't find the link) sets the max dish size at 1 meter. It also lists the rules of dish placement. If your balcony is exclusive use and you use a tripod or bucket mount they can't stop you.

-Robert

5. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

My appt. complex seems to think that since they offer the use of a shared 18" dish that everything is covered. But they only offer one provider for everything, which is illegal. No one offers any HDTV signal and from what I have read over at the FCC site, they can not deny a person service. But until I decide to just put of the dish even if they don't like it, I'll just use the reciever for my regular directv and ota hdtv.

Thanks

Nick