HDTV Tuner card in Canada?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jonny K, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

I want to buy an HDTV tuner card for my PC that will let me watch TV on my computer. This brings up two questions. First of all, which card? And secondly, I know that HDTV isn't very widespread in Canada and I wonder if I'll even be able to get an HDTV signal from an antenna in the Vancouver area.

Regarding HDTV cards, there doesn't seem to be much choice. The ATI "HDTV Wonder" seemed promising until I learned that it only works with HDTV signals from antenna and not cable. I want BOTH! In addition, ATI doesn't want to sell it in Canada (so I've got to go through eBay or some other source to get one). I've also been wondering about this card:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro.../fusion3qt.asp

Unfortunatly I don't know a lot about this stuff just yet. I understand that there are certain HDTV broadcast standards and they are different depending on your location and service provider. Who is responsible for open-air broadcasting of TV? Is it the cable company? How do you find out what is avaliable via open-air/antenna in your local area? My local cable company is "Shaw", but the only mention of HDTV Shaw has on their website is regarding cable HDTV.

http://www.shaw.ca/

My main interest is getting a tuner card so I can watch regular antenna TV on the computer, but at the same time I want to get something that will allow me to watch HDTV should it become avaliable in the future. It seems like a shame to buy a regular tuner card when HDTV is the new big thing. I don't currently have Cable.

Thanks,

Jonny K.

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Basically, you'd need to plug in an antenna in your TV to find out which US stations (if any) you can physically pick up. If you can pick up American stations, and they support HDTV, then MAYBE you can receive their HDTV feeds. You might want to ask around at A/V stores and see what they have to say about it.

As for HDTV on cable, normally you can only receive that with the cable company's own HDTV box. But if the ATI card has HDTV compatible inputs, then you have a work-around.

ATI's policy of not selling the card in Canada is ridiculous. What about all the border towns? Niagara Falls and Windsor are proof that such a card can work properly in Canada. Even the Eastern Townships south of Montreal can pick up the PBS feeds from Vermont!

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Weird. Toronto apparantly has the most HDTV channels on cable format and has for a few years. Like 11 or something.

4. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Tell that to ATI. [​IMG]