HDTV Tuner and Off-Air??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BobH, Aug 17, 2004.

1. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Do I understand this right? I already have an HDTV-ready set but no tuner. If I buy a $300 tuner and use a rabbit-ear antenna I can get HD signals of up to 1080i quality right off the air? I live in Phoenix and all the local channels broadcast HD.

This sounds too easy. Is there some limit to resolution with these tuners or the antenna or . . .

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

nope, you are right on the money.

just get a stb (set-top box), a decent antenna (try www.antennaweb.org), and you are golden!

i think a couple of channels broadcast in 720p (cbs?), but no matter what, you'll be seeing true hd.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    ABC broadcasts in 720p. CBS, NBC and PBS are 1080i. Not sure what Fox has decided to do this fall. I have the Samsung SIR-T151 and there is a switch on the back to output various resolutions. I just have mine set to 1080i so the box converts the ABC signal. Depending on the type of antenna you require, a roof antenna may be necessary or the best option for signal reception. I could have gotten away with an indoor, but heavy traffic and the regular bus line caused significant signal interference. Raising it above the level of traffic and increasing the gain by moving it outside did the trick.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Fox is switching to 1080i this fall.

Bob, why would there be a "catch"? Terrestrial TV stations broadcast their digital channels in the UHF band, which is over the air and, still, despite media consolidation, free. Just like it always has been.

5. John S

John S Producer

The catch?? lol Has to be "The Hey Todd" Sony comercial played over and over and over again during something like the Olympics in HD....