What's new

HDTV + TiVo = ??? (1 Viewer)

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
How do those of you with a HDTV and a TiVo or similar device set every thing up?
Do you just use the TiVo for all TV veiwing except HDTV broadcasts, and then bypass the TiVo when watching a HDTV source?

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
The configuration I will hopefully soon have is this:
(Dish 5000)->(Dish HDTV modulator)->(AccessDTV card in HTPC)->HD VGA input
and
(DirecTV receiver, Antenna)->(SA TiVo)->(DVDO iScan Pro)->HD comp input
Right now, I only have the TiVo path set up, but I have the Dish 5000 stuff on order. That path will allow recording Dish satellite HDTV to hard disk. There is currently no way to record HD DirecTV, but I want to keep DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, thus the redundant satellite systems.
An HDTV receiver and a DirecTV TiVo are definitely mutually exclusive. They won't talk to each other. Plug them into separate inputs on your TV or use a video switcher.
However, an HDTV receiver and a standalone TiVo can be set up to do something cool. You can record HDTV downscaled to full screen 480i vertically stretched, so that you can then view 480i anamorphic on playback on a set that will squeeze 480i. The result should be approximately DVD quality, certainly much better than your normal satellite channels. This trick does not work well with the DTC100 or the HD100, as you need a receiver that outputs both 1080i and 480i at the same time, so that you don't have to remember to switch modes when you're done watching.
-Abdul

MikeM

Screenwriter
Do you just use the TiVo for all TV veiwing except HDTV broadcasts, and then bypass the TiVo when watching a HDTV source?
Yup.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks