What's new

HDTV Tivo (1 Viewer)

Sean Romo

Agent
I have read responses to new HDTV Direct TV receivers coming out this year, but there has not been a lot of conversation about them. All I really would like to hear is when the Direct TV Tivo is expected and how much an estimated price might be. I have been to hughes site and they dont even mention it, they still are promoting the E86. I hope its out before football season so I can pick up the football package and watch the steelers with there newly drafted defense. woo hoo!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
No conversation, because there have been no official statements by Tivo other than what they announced at CES. All one can give is conjecture and rumor. My guess based on available info is December, ~$750-800. I'd be surprised if it came out earlier; wouldn't be surprised by later / higher price.

Sean Romo

Agent
Ah, Thank you, just the info I was looking for and guessing about.

If anyone wants to light a fire under them, tell them Im not buying the E86, I can hold out a little longer...

I wonder if anyone out there thinks HDTV Tivo wont work with the copy infringments the movie companies want to place on HDTV?

Sean Romo

Agent
If I wait for the HDtivo Im sure that will be around 800$. That is going to be a lot of cash to get started (plus tivo service, plus HD package - due in july, plus base package). Does anyone think the Hughes E86 or equivalant will ever be offered at a discount with Direct TV packages? I think its crap that you have to buy the equipment in order to view a providers service. Equipment should be given away!! If they dont give me a reciever then they are losing my money in monthly service.:angry:

Sean Romo

Agent
Yeah, I feel like Im talking to myself, but Im new to this and this is fun!!!:D

I just wanted to add since this is a recording forum that I agree with DVI. Dont get me wrong I think it stinks, but I bought a DVD player for my dad, come to find out his tv doesnt even have S-video.:b

One thing I want to voice, is that I have heard flagging would be a way of downrezzing component inputs...that would be very rude.

Can anyone explain how DVI would affect an HDTV Tivo? Arent the recorders built into the reciever so no recording connection is required? Im also confused, what is the big deal if you can record with a DVI connection but not component? I think I am missing something...

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
DVI is solely an output connection to a display. It doesn't have much to do with recording (infeasible to record from DVI, since it's encrypted & carries way too much data anyway). A recording device won't record off of either DVI or component (HD MPEG encoder too expensive); it will either have built-in digital tuner(s) (HD-Tivo, Dish 921, Zenith HDR-230, cable STB/PVR like Motorola 6208, Scientific Atlanta 8000HD), take IEEE1394 aka Firewire input from an external tuner (RCA DVR-10, Mits D-VHS, JVC D-VHS), or preferrably both tuner + Firewire.

The restriction people are worried about re DVI is it's conceivable that for some channels/events, particularly PPV stuff & maybe premium movie channels, DVI will be the only HD output allowed, with component downres'd to 480p or even disabled. It's not going to affect normal broadcast channels. The idea is that HD-Tivo and other STBs might output HD only over DVI for this selected programming, if the movie studios get their way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks