What's new

HDTV through Directv (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I dont know which forum this goes onto,but i dont think i can go wrong posting it here.

I have Digital Cable with Cox. I have 8 HBO's ( i think). I dont have an HDTV set yet, but i will soon. Those of you who get HDTV through Directv, which package do you have to get to receive any HD signals? I hear people talking about HDNet and HDHBO. How do i get these and whats the cheapest plan i can get and get these channels? Also, wheres the cheapest place to get an HD set top box and a satellite? It can be used equiptment.

any advice for a newbie to Directv would be nice.

thanks

anthony

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You have to buy a system capable of HD. You can't just go to your local Best Buy and buy a regular satellite system, then order HD content. I believe the HD systems require an oval dish and start at around $600.

A mod should move this to the HDTV forum. You'll get better answers there.

John Tyrone

Agent
Anthony,

All you need to pick up hdnet and hbohd is an elliptical dish with a hd/stb. I got my stb for 450.00 online,(dst-3000). I had the elliptical dish installed last year so I'm not sure on a price for those. hdnet and hbo are free, well if you subscribe to hbo, you'll get hbohd with that combo.

And I hope you have a hdtv ready set or else all this will be pointless...

John

Once you have the elliptical dish positioned and the hd receiver, you can order the miminum package called DirectTv Limited for $7.99/month. Then you request HdNet (while on the phone ordering your package) which will be on your monthly bill as $0.00.

I am able to get HBO HD (Ch 509) with this package as well. Some folks do not get the HBO HD feed with it, but it is worth trying this package first if you want to squeeze the few $$ savings.

Or you can order HBO ala carte only for $12/month. This will give you all of the HBO sd channels as well as HBO HD. Again, HdNet comes along with it. If HdNet (Ch 199) does not activate, you have to call again to request it, again at no extra charge.

Any package gets you HdNet, whether it is a total package or an ala carte one. You need to subscribe to HBO sd to get the HBO HD feed, although some of us get the HBO HD channel with the inexpensive DirectTv Limited package.

If DirectTv is your main source of programming, you may as well get any package you want. As I said, they all come with HdNet at no extra charge. And if they include HBO sd, you also get the HBO HD.

Shelly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks