HDTV through cable company

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Can, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Jim Can

Jim Can Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone who has this give me some info on this. It will be offered to my area next month and the rep said that there is a box that connects to your existing cable box and that's all you need. Does this sound right? How is the picture quality? I have AT&T who is merging with Comcast from what I have heard. I also have a Motorola digital cable box that I guess the new component would connect to.
    Any info would help, Thanks. I am also considering the Mitsubishi 55411 to make this all possible, any feedback on that tv would be great too.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

(copied from another post)
    In most cases, for HDTV via cable or satellite, you must use the box they provide because the signal is in a proprieatry format. The quality may or may not be degraded by additional compression used to get more channels to fit "on the cable".
    If they transmit the HDTV using the same format as over the air, including the frequency band, any HDTV box can be attached to the cable feed to receive those channels. you will not lose quality compared with over the air HDTV.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

Jim,

I am receiving HDTV through the local TW people connected to my Mits 55" HDTV. Genuine HD content looks great...there is nothing like it! Keep in mind that only select stations broadcast in HD, and only some of that is actual 1080i content. Some of it is upconverted, which you can tell a difference. Also, some of the High-Def channels don't broadcast it in that format 24x7. It will sometimes be in the 4:3 mode.

You should be able to hookup the HD converter box directly to your cable output. You shouldn't be hooking it up to your existing box, it should replace that.

Good luck!

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I have TW here in Greensoboro and the only station in HD without gong over the air is UNCHD demo loop. The box also has some problems decoding the 1080i, as everything looks washed out. I am disappointed so far. Need a fixed box.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer