HDTV - The question you all dread hearing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Lipp, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Eric Lipp

Eric Lipp Agent

Ok, the time draws near.....I am finally considering an HDTV purchase, but have been out of the loop for a few months now. Where better to turn than the Hometheaterforum?
    TV will be used primarily for DVD viewing, with some DishNetwork (non-HD).
    Progressive scan dvd player to be purchased simultaneously.
    I sit about 9 feet from my current TV (32"). As we all know, the initially large "shock value" of the larger screens wears off quite quickly (the move from 27 to 32" was huge, but is now no big deal).
    I'm interested in 16:9, probably no bigger than 55" (due to space/budget restrictions).
    Since I will initially have no HDTV feeds, HD-ready will probably be fine. I'm really looking to enjoy 16:9 anamorphic DVD's as my primary viewing.
    Budget is $4000 or less.
    Thanks for your suggestions,
    ~Eric

2. Bill_M

Bill_M Agent

If you only need a 55" 16x9 then you might consider a 60/61" 4x3 HD ready set that does the squeeze. A 60/61" NTSC picture has quite an impact. It will also be line doubled. When you can watch DTV the upconverted 4x3 will be able to be displayed full screen. 4x3 DTV is pretty darn good.

3. Eric Lipp

Eric Lipp Agent

Good point, Bill.
    Now....any specific models you guys/gals like?
    Additionally, where's a good place to purchase now-a-days?
    Thanks,
    Eric

4. Craig Schriever

Craig Schriever Auditioning

I'll throw one in for Sony's KP-61HS10! Its a 4:3 HD ready that does a great job with the squeeze. The picture is incredible with a Progressive scan DVD(DVP s9000ES.) and HD stuff is amazing. I'm also impressed with the quality of SD broadcasts(DTV). And if 61" is a little to big the 53" HS10 is out there also.

5. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

The $3000 Philips 60PP9601 a 60" 4:3 set that optionally does the squeeze to create a 55" 16:9 display for any input (except VGA/SVGA format.) When coupled with an $800 DVDO iScan Pro, it rocks (but appears washed out without it.)
    Other sets I like: RCA F38310, RCA MM36110, Toshiba 56H80, and Toshiba 65H80.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

6. Eric Lipp

Eric Lipp Agent

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been checking them out on the respective company web sites, and they all look like good TV options.
    One last question, though. When it comes time to buy, whom do I buy from?
    The $3000 Philips 60PP9601 isn't $3000 on the Philips web site (MSRP, obviously).
    Thanks,
    Eric

7. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

www.sears.com will Internet price match, so for any set that they carry, including the Philips 60PP9601, you can't beat 'em. Sears stores sometimes Internet price match, and in any case often have 10% off sales and other promotions.
    www.crazyeddie.com is used by some, since his prices are insane, but the customer service is somewhere between nonexistent and bad. Use www.pricescan.com to find others.
    Good Guys, Circuit City, and friends have much higher list prices, but you can haggle them down. Beware extended warranties. Buying local is a good idea, in case you run into trouble and need to exchange the set. Costco sometimes carries some good HD-ready sets, and one guy here says it's actually smart to buy from them. In any case, you can use their prices to haggle down the electronics stores.
    Anyway, you're getting ahead of yourself. Decide what you want before you decide where to get it.
    -Abdul

8. Jim Rondeau

Jim Rondeau Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Mitsubishi WS-65807 at Sears for $2700. I was deciding whether to buy it at Sears or Tweeter as they both had it listed for $3500. I also wanted a 5 year extended warranty and Sears was $500 and Tweeter was $350. I found a place on the Internet with the TV priced at $3150. I knew Sears priced matched so I went to Tweeter to see if they would also. They agreed after a while. So their deal was better at $3500 vs $3650 with the warranty. I went back to Sears and mentioned that Tweeter would match the internet price and they agreed to lower the price of the TV to $3000 to even the deal. Sears also has a (permanent?) promotion where if you by two home theater items you get an additional 5% off or and an additional 10% off for three items. I picked up a Pioneer DV-434 price matched at $201 and a $90 VCR to get the TV down to $2700. You can get pretty creative with Sears if you do your homework. Hope this helps.

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

$4000.00 huh...ok for 4 grand you can get yourself a Mitsubishi 55907...nice tv [​IMG]
    Chip

10. Eric Lipp

Eric Lipp Agent

Ok. Thanks, everyone. Today I put in an order for the Toshiba 56H80.
    Total came to $2864 with shipping.
    I'll let you all know how it runs when I get it in.
    The people in this forum are a great help.
    Thanks again,
    Eric
    PS - Widescreen TV's are just too cool. I had to get it.