HDTV setup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Melo, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Dan Melo

Dan Melo Auditioning

So here is my question. I was a moron and never pre-ordered the Xbox back months ago when it became first available. I was able to get in line at my local Best Buy before like 8:00 yesterday morning and actually got one. Any ways, back to my question. My TV is a Mitsubishi 65907, which has (2) two sets of component inputs and (1) one HD input. So, since I am using an outboard decoder (Mitsubishi Satellite Receiver/HD Decoder SR HD 500) and from what I can tell only has one source for HD input/output.
    So obviously in order to get the xbox to work in HD resolutions higher than 480i, I will need to split the feed going from the decoder to the tv somehow. Is this possible. Since the tv does not have an internal HD decoder the source needs to be sent from the decoder but if I am already using it for my satellite then how can I incorporate this into the mix?
    I hope I made sense of my problem/question.
    Thanks.

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Dan:
    If you want to put two HD sources into one HD input, you are going to need some type of switcher. There are numerous threads about such switchers both here and at AVSForum. This switcher will take the two different inputs and allow you to switch one into the input of your TV. Which one you choose depends on whether you want to be able to do this automatically, by remote, or just manually. The cost goes in this direction downward.
    SMK

3. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Mark, I would hold off on the componet switcher for now. There are no HD XBOX games available right now, only some @ 480p. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it will be a while before 1080i games will be available. Just hook your XBOX up to one of the componet inputs. Also, I don't own a Mits but wouldn't any of the componet inputs accept an HD signal?

4. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

As I recall, the xxx07 series of Mitsubishi TVs have one component input that will accept a 1080i signal, and two that will accept a 480p input.
    SMK