HDTV search narrowed to 4 sets, could use a little input

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan DRC, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

My room in my new home is 20' x 13'.
    Viewing distance is around 9' to 10'
    This is a living room set up
    I will have an directv HD unit though of course there is still a lot of 4:3 SD content that I will watch

DVD Player will be either a Panny S97 or Denon 1910 or Bravo D2

My 4 choices are as follows

Toshiba 46H84 $1299
    Toshiba 51H84 $1499
    Mits 55315 $1349
    Panny PTW47x34 $999

I am a little concerned that the Mits 55" might be a little too big at my viewing distance but the price is good for the size.
    All of the sets a within my budget.

I am concerned about the quality of the SD picture also.

Thanks for any help

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Not on your list but the Sony 51WS520 is the best. Might cost a little more but why not get the best?

3. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

I bought the 46H84 four months ago and got it for less than $1,000. My brother-in-law just got one for a little more than $900 (from Sears - on a price match). I'm thrilled with it. My wife and I still watch a lot of SD television, and the quality is surprisingly good.

4. John S

John S Producer

hehe.. I'm all about screen size. Go for the Mitsu. [​IMG]

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

On HD and DVD you should be fine with the Mits anywhere above 9'. On SD you're probably going to be a bit too close. It's a rule of thumb that you be 2x the screen size away for HD and DVD and 3x the screen size away for SD broadcasts. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

6. Dan DRC

Hey Tom #B

What is the height of the stand you are using for the 46H84?
    I think the standard stand for this TV is 8" tall.
    The entertainment center I was looking at would put the TV about 15" off of the floor. I did not know if that would have an adverse effect on the picture quality.

7. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

I'm at work all day, but I'll give you the specs on my stand when I get home tonight. I actually had an oak stand custom made. I can try to post a digital photo. (I've never tried to post a photo through this forum.) It really looks nice. I know it's more than 8" high. I'm guessing it's at least double that. But it's still essentially eye-level when you're sitting on the couch. PQ is fine.
    I'd be happy to snap a digital photo and either post it or e-mail it to you. And I'll definitely post the specs of the stand too.

Tom

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I sit around 9-10 feet away from a 55" Mits. No problems at all. it's not too close. I had Directv SD and was very pleased with the picture once I removed the screen protector which I highly recommend. Since I have recently gotten a deal to switch to Cox with their HD DVR, I did and couldn't be happier. The pciture before was acceptable but after the protector was removed, the picture greatly improved.
    Best according to who? It certainly wasn't the best when I was shopping. I compared the 2 sets calibrated in a dark room.

9. Dan DRC

Thanks Tom

That would help. Specs would work if you cant get the pic posted. If you want to email me you can PM me for the address. The wall unit I was looking at has an adjustable upper and lower bridge that the TV would sit on and I was thinking about putting a sub underneath the lower bridge. It is open on the bottom so the sub would fire directly into the floor or out to the room and not against any wood in the wall unit. so that is why I was wondering about the height issue that way I could plan on what size of sub I could look for.

Thanks Shane and Stephen for your comments about viewing distance.

10. Kirk Patrick

Kirk Patrick Stunt Coordinator

i noticed that ubid is selling a refurb model of the 51WS520 for $999

if i didn't live in canuckistan i'd go for it myself

good luck

11. Tom#B

Tom#B Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

My stand is almost exactly 15" off the floor. The top, where the TV sits, is 14-3/4 inches high.

Tom

12. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

I sit about 9' from my Mits 55613. I'm lovin' it. [​IMG]

13. Dan DRC

Thanks for the specs Tom

14. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Oddly with this list, the Panny would calibrate out better than most of the other selections. Aside from it being cheap cheap and cheap inside too ... not even painted black anymore ...

For pure performance, it will calibrate better than the toshibas and a touch better than the mits in certain areas.

regards

15. Dan DRC

Thanks

Michael, that is good info.

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Looking at the sets you mentioned, I'd say they are all winners at those prices. But to narrow it down, as Michael mentioned, do you want pure performance and best PQ for cheapest price, or a larger picture (with very good PQ) for a slighter higher price?

The Panny will provide the best PQ for the least $$$. But the Mitsu is the bigger screen with almost same PQ (you are basically trading more $ for +8" of screen.) Both Toshibas are winners, but essentially the Panny will beat them for PQ and the Mitsu will beat them for size/PQ, so I'd go for one of those.

BTW, I have a 48" Mitsu that I love. I was down to the same Panny you list vs. this Mitsu, went with the M as it is a table top model (which is important for us with small children - get the TV and buttons off the ground.) We love our Mitsu, it performs like a champ and looks fantastic.

17. Dan DRC

Yeah its a tough call for sure. They all have pros and cons.
    I am a little worried about the 51" or 55" with SD material at my viewing distance.

18. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

It really doesn't matter because on a big screen, SD doesn't look all that great. Crap in, crap out. However given you are talking about D* SD, then you are going to be ok. D* SD looks decent.