HDTV screens with built in tuners here yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by davenportbuzz, Jan 28, 2003.

1. davenportbuzz

I'm about to embark on the exciting journey of choosing an HDTV screen. I've narrowed the field to a 55-57" size and either Hitachi or Sony, based on viewing experience and various reviews online. Definitely want a WIDE one too. Here's the thing though. I understand that the government voted to have tuners built in to all 2003 HDTV's and beyond so the consumer wouldn't have to fuss with an extra added antenna to receive HDTV on local channels. I would really prefer to buy one that has it built in, so I guess I'm looking at getting a brand new one that comes out this year then. Does anyone know if Sony or Hitachi models in this size are releasing built in tuner versions before the end of the year? I'd much rather do that than buy and mount an antenna. Is it later in the year that most manufactorers release their new models?? From what I've seen so far, there are hardly any on the market right now. And despite what I've heard some people say about a lack of HDTV programming, this year promises to boost programming dramatically for all the major networks. More and more shows and sporting events are to be HDTV capable in 2003. So this is an important factor in deciding for me now.

Much appreciated.
    Rick

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Rick,

Even with a set that has a built in tuner you will have to put up an antenna to get over-the-air HDTV, unless your cable company is providing it.

If you can get HD on cable, you'll need one of their boxes to get it so there's no advantage to having the tuner built into the set.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Rick,

Right now, most HDTV comes over an antenna. You're right that, beginning with the 2004 models (coming out this fall) all TV sets over 36" have to include built-in HD tuners. Then you'll be able to receive over-the-air (OTA) HD broadcasts.

As Steve said, if you get your signal from cable or satellite, the built-in tuner may be irrelevant, just as the built-in analog tuner is now unless you also have an OTA antenna.

Jan

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I am pretty sure that Mitsubishi has some RPTVs with built in ATSC tuners right now.

You can probably also find some Sony 24” XBR2s (these have built in tuners).

A built in tuner will be most useful if you have cable service, because most cable boxes don’t decode Over the Air (OTA), digital signals. Which means that you would have to buy an external, digital tuner. This necessity is eliminated if your set already has one.

However, it you subscribe to a satellite service such as DirectTV, there is no particular advantage to having a built-in tuner. This is because you need an external tuner to decode the satellite signal (your sets tuner won’t do this). Because most satellite tuners will also decode OTA digital signals and you need buy a HD tuner regardless, in this case there will be no benefit for having an internal tuner in the set.

5. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

the mitz platinum and the hitachi directory series all have built in HD decoders that will work with over the air Hd singal and HD cable signals. Sony and Toshiba are expected to come out with models around the summer/fall that will also feature tuners.

6. davenportbuzz

Thanks for all your responses. I do have DirecTV and I intend to get their HDTV receiver and dish shortly after getting the screen. However, I thought that in order to get HDTV from the local stations (i.e. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WB, KCOP - I'm in LA, CA) I need an antenna but if the screen has a built in one, than I do not need to get an external one. My friend has a similiar set up and unless he's mistaken, he's pretty much indicated to me that he can pick up HDTV signals through his HDTV DirecTV satellite reciever for "cable" channels but he needs to hook up an antenna to get the local channel HDTV broadcasts. Going on that assumption I figured if I got the monitor with the built in tuner I could bypass having to get the external one. So am I mistaken? I sure would save some money if I got a screen without the built in tuner, so this advice is golden for me as I'm pretty new at the HDTV game! I've got a sweet home theater set up but I'm just now stepping into the world of HDTV and I want to make the best choice for the maximum benefit.

Rick

7. davenportbuzz

Oh and one more thing, if the tuner is not really necessary why are they going to be mandatory for all screens coming out soon?? What benefit will it really provide then? Is it going to then benefit only those people who do not have cable or satellite and want to get HDTV from their basic antenna local channels???

Oh and by the way, the two screens I'm VERY interested in are both Hitachi. My friend has one (the 53") and it's simply amazing. I've also read countless tumbs-up reviews for the Hitachi's. Both are 57" and one has the built in tuner - should I decide to go that route. Buit again, the one that doesn't have it is considerably cheaper, of course.

Rick

8. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I just bought a HDTV and opted for the one without a tuner for a couple of reasons.

The one without had less inputs thus if you get satellite or cable it will be harder or will require a component signal switch of some sort.

Also the built in tuner did not have a lot of options. I fugured soon I could get a HDTV tuner with PVR built in.

I know this is off topic, but do DVD recorders record a program progressively, or is it independent of the progressive/interlaced viewing?

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert