What's new

HDTV Screen needs to be cleaned after delivery guy touched it with sweaty hand. HELP! (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
My Panasonic HDTV model PT-47WX49 was delivered today in the muggy New England heat and unfortunately, one of the delivery guys must have placed his hand on the screen, which does not have a protective shield.
The top left corner has a very clear discoloration in small splotches and the case around that area had some sweat that was almost evaporated. The guys were sweating up a storm and one of them must have touched it by mistake (I told them to keep their hands off and they said they would). You cannot see the splotches unless you have the TV on with a clean signal (DVD). It is very hard to see via cable or VHS.
HOW DO I CLEAN THIS and CAN IT BE FIXED?! If not, I will just call Sears and have them replace it ASAP. Clearly, 2 grand for a TV with blotches is unacceptable.
I did a search on the Net and found web sites that said these screens cannot be cleaned, so is that incorrect? I sure as hell hope not because I do not want to go through this again.
I have posted this in multiple forums (AVS, HTF, etc.), so please excuse me if you saw this somewhere else. But I would greatly appreciate any knowledgeable responses!
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
There should be no issue at all. Just mix up a mild soap and warm water (Johnson's Baby Shampoo), and use a soft terry cloth rag, and wipe vertically (i.e. in the direction of the lenticular grooves.)
You may have to work with it a bit, but sweat shouldn't permanently damage the screen, if cleaned off in a reasonable time.
Todd

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Do what Todd suggested. Man, do I feel for you, Matt. First the whole drama with getting the set to your house, and now this. Sheesh!

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Fixed it. Used Dawn. Worked like a charm. I was scared out of my mind while doing though!!
eek.gif
Now I get to do the initial calibrations because right now, the picture is positively grotesque. Complete ass. DVD via 480p with the contract and brightness out of Torch mode looks decent, but somewhat grainy.
Cable, VHS and SVHS look terrible. Even SVHS recorded directly from a 16x9 output DVD looks bad.
Is there a way to make the picture go into GAME MODE when using ZOOM? I can in the other settings, but it seems ZOOM won't let me go into GAME, which shuts the line doubler off.
Carlo, what tweaks would you recommend I do in the first 24 hours?'
Thanks
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks