HDTV satt box connect to non high def tv via component cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Mac, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

I have a Zenith Sat520 that is a high-def sattelite box -- I want to hook this unit up to my Sony 36" XBR -- non-HDTV via component cables. The Sony has one component input on the back and I have had a dvd player hooked up through this component input for some time. When I hooked the Sat box up to the TV via the component input there was just a distorted picture regardless if I chose 1080, 720, 480p or 480i. Can I accomplish this--hook a HDTV satt box to a non-high def tv via component cables? I have heard I can--maybe I need a converter or something? Thanks.

Mac

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A standard television signal is 480i. If your box can output this, it should work fine. (but if your box requires to see a menu system - you are going to have problems changing the output).

3. Mac

Mac Agent

Box outputs 480i, but I try it in the sd and hd mode and I still do not get picture--just wavy lines--there is a picture but it is all distorted.

Mac

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Could you have the component cables hooked into the wrong jacks on one side and the other?

Try this: just use the yellow cable (cable with a yellow marking on the RCA plug and make the connection. You should see a black and white image. This will 'lock-down' one of the cable connections. Now you just have to worry about the other two which should be fairly easy.