HDTV sat box connect to non high def TV via component cables

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mac, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

I have a Zenith Sat520 that is a high-def sattelite box -- I want to hook this unit up to my Sony 36" XBR -- non-HDTV via component cables. The Sony has one component input on the back and I have had a dvd player hooked up through this component input for some time. When I hooked the Sat box up to the TV via the component input there was just a distorted picture regardless if I chose 1080, 720, 480p or 480i. Can I accomplish this--hook a HDTV satt box to a non-high def tv via component cables? I have heard I can--maybe I need a converter or something? Thanks.

Mac

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mac,

That set will only display 480i via component (or any other, for that matter) inputs.

The Zenith 520 will not output 480i via it's component outputs, only 1080i, 720p, or 480p, none of which your tv can display.

You can set the Zenith to 480i output, but it will only be available over the S-video and composite video outputs, not component. I own a Sony HD-200 which is the same box as the Zenith 520, and it will not output anything over the component cables when set to 480i. This is in the instruction book but it's a bit hard to interpret.

That being said, an HD channel downconverted to 480i and output via the S-video output should look at least as good as the best dvd.

3. Mac

Mac Agent

Thanks Steve--is there anything that converts the signal so you can use component input?

Mac

4. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

The bigger question is: Why?

You've got the DVD player that "should" be connected via component and a SAT that might as well be connected via S-Video. Why would you want to buy more equipment to downconvert the signal when your SAT box already does it for you and doesn't take up a valuable component input.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mac,

I don't know of any such conversion device, and with your XBR tv I don't see any reason why you'd need one. The difference in pq between S-video and Component for 480i on that set is probably virtually undetectable. Niether input type uses the set's comb filter, which is excellent in any case. If you're seeing a large difference between the pq of the S vs Component inputs when using your dvd player, and thus think there will be that much difference for your STB, keep in mind that most dvd players will pass blacker than black via component but not S connections, accounting for deeper richer blacks on the component.