HDTV Sat 1st Timer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave_Nich, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Dave_Nich

Dave_Nich Auditioning

Long time reader, first time writer needs some help picking out sat receiver. I am looking at the Zenith 520, Samsung 160 and the Toshiba 3100 (released shortly) for my Mitsubishi 55313. For my second room I am going to hook up a couple tvs to an RCA 486RF.

Q1: Should I go with the 520 or wait for the 3100? What features would be key that the 3100 has that should I wait for?

Q2: Can I hook up a couple of tv's to the 486RF and maintain good picture quality on those sets?
    Has anyone done this? Can you use the remote from different levels in your house?

Q3: If the 486RF is a bad choice what sat receiver out there will allow me to hook up a couple of tv's to it, maintain good picture quality, and the remote can be used anywhere in the house.

Thanks for your help!!!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

All of the newer DirecTV receivers have DVI outputs and none of which I am aware have firewire.

IIRC, the 520 does not allow simultaneous output of NTSC and ATSC. The 3100 will have this feature. The Samsung has this feature.

I have not read if the Toshiba is supposed to have a superior picture or not. I suppose that we will have to wait and see.

3. Dave_Nich

Dave_Nich Auditioning

Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between NTSC and ATSC. I am assuming they are different broadcasting signals / format? I am assuming that simultaneous output means Picture in Picture. Therefore the 520 would receive both signals but the picture and picture would not work for the different broadcast types?

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Oops, sorry for the shorthand Dave. He is the long version.

NTSC is the standard (at least in this part of the world) for Standard Definition (SD), analog telecasts. The is what you get when you receive the old fashioned, Over-The-Air (OTA) transmissions. All TVs have NTSC tuners. Since satellite (and some cable) transmissions are digital, you need a different receiver to tune and decode the signal. NTSC is 480i.

ATSC is the standard for digital telecasts regardless of whether they are High Definition (HD) or Standard Definition (SD). Since most TVs do not have an ATSC tuner (although some do) you need to purchase an external one to tune HD and other digital ATSC channels. Plus, for satellite you will need to be able to decode the satellite transmissions. ATSC may be 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i (and in theory, though not so far in practice, 1080p)

The receivers you mention will all tune DirecTV and OTA signals, both NTSC and ATSC.

So far (with just a very few exceptions) VCRs and PVRs (such as Replay and Tivo) will only record analog NTSC signals. This means that your receiver must be able to output 480i if you want to record on one of these devices.

But HD displays will only display in HD via component or DVI inputs on the digital output (even if the actually signal is analog via component cables). So to watch anything in 480p, 720p or 1080i the receiver uses a different set of outputs than the ones that output 480i.

On older receivers (such as my Hughes E86) you have to choose one or the other. You can’t both watch in HD and record at the same time. Or if you want watch in HD now and record a program later, you must remember to switch the receiver from one output to the other.

Simultaneous output means that you can watch and record at the same time as both output types are active at the same time.

Does this help? Or is it still too confusing?

5. Dave_Nich

Dave_Nich Auditioning

Thanks for the detailed explanation that will help alot.