What's new

HDTV (Samsung LN32A330) widescreen issues (1 Viewer)

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
I am super satisfied with the picture on this TV. It is my first HDTV so I am still getting used to the bars on the side and top depending on the resolution.

What I have found untenable is when I am watching a widescreen movie through HDMI on my upconvert DVD player.

I was watching Vantage Point (a new and horrible movie). There was the letterbox in the DVD as well as letterbox on my TV. This resulted in a narrow rectangle of viewing screen.

Seriously, 50% of the screen was letterboxed . I tried using the zoom on my DVD player but then I lost a good portion of the screen and couldn't read subtitles or text on the periphery.

Does anyone have a solution for watching a widescreen movie so it's not a small rectangle?

Thanks,
JOe K.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It sounds like you never changed your DVD player from 4:3 mode (for your old TV) to 16:9 mode for the new one. Then, you set the TV the "full" mode, which may have a different name.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the picture and the subtitles below it together occupy a space taller than 16:9 then there is no official way to zoom the picture. There are three standard settings on the TV, regular 4:3 to use all of a non-16:9 enhanced (non-anamorphic) show, "zoom" to expand the inner 360 scan lines putting 60 above and 60 below the screen boundaries, and full 16:9 to use all of the picture but stretch it sideways only to fill a 16:9 screen. The last one is used only for anamorphic shows.

For 16:9 TV sets use the 16:9 setting on the DVD player.

A few TV sets or DVD players may have continuously adjustable zoom to expand the picture just a little and accomplish a little of what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks