HDTV Review Sites??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott F, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Scott F

Scott F Auditioning

I am in the market for a HDTV. I am looking at Mitsubishi ,Sony or Pioneer. 55-65 inch range. Are there any sites out there that can breakdown the pluses and minuses for me?
    Thanks for any help.
    Scott F
    [​IMG]

2. Don S

Don S Stunt Coordinator

Scott:
    AudioReview has reviews from owners. Also, Home Theater Spot has forums broken down by manufacturer, so that you can search for specific comments about the exact sets your looking for. The new non-Elite Pioneers in particular seem to be getting outstanding reviews, as they have LAST year's Pioneer Elite line doubler. This year's Pioneer Elites have had some reports of line-doubler issues, although the reports vary wildly.. I have last year's Elite(710) and LOVE it, so I am biased a bit towards Pioneer.
    Good luck,

3. Scott F

Scott F Auditioning

Don,

Tyanks for the info. I will be sure to check out the sites you gave me. I think the Pioneers are a bit out of my range. I am actually looking for the best HDTV ready set. It's come down to the Toshiba 57HX81 and the Mitsubishi WS55819. I think I can't go wrong with either....

Scott

4. JimmyD

JimmyD Auditioning

Scott,
    Like Don, I too am biased towards Pioneer (DVD player, LD player, CD player, and, until it recently died, a 1991 50" Pioneer RPTV that I loved) so when the misses agreed to an upgrade to an HDTV set I was all set to talk her into a non-Elite Pioneer RP-HDTV(hey, I can't sweet talk well enough to get an Elite). That changed when I got to see a Pioneer next to the Sharp 55RWP4H at Best Buy (HATE 'EM). I couldn't justify the >$1000 more for the Pioneer then the Sharp and none of the other models (Sony, Toshiba, Panny) were as good as the Sharp.
    This was particularly true when I played back a low resolution (~240 lines) Sony Hi8 camcorder taping into the sets to judge their line doublers. The 240 lines test might not matter to you but my wife has numerous prerecorded VHS tapes and I'm not going to buy a set that pixelizes them like some do and get her mad at me (or worse yet, have to buy some of her movies on DVD - have they even released 'Roommates' with D.B. Sweeney and Peter Falk on DVD?). The Pioneer and the Sharp had the best line doublers.
    F.Y.I. Though no one can definitely sort this out the word that's spreading is that Sharp makes several of the components used in the Pioneer Elites and uses the same technology in their own models.
    I didn't get the Sharp 55RWP4H but rather the SharpVision 55RWP5H and recently posted this reply (which has a link to some people who have had problems with their Sharp(Vision)s):
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...166#post351166
    If you want to read about some who have also purchased the Sharp(Vision) go to:
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...ubb=forum&f=64
    Happy hunting.
    James