What's new

HDTV Reciever questions (1 Viewer)

ScottyL

Auditioning
I have the DirectTV system now. If I buy a HDTV reciever, how many HD channels can I expect to recieve? Will the NFL be broadcasted in HD? Is it worth it? Any suggestions to which reciever u recommond? Is there special Equipment needed other than the reciever?
Scott

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
Currently on DirecTV you get HBO in HD without about 85% of the material on it shown in HDTV. For free you also get HDNet a full-time mainly-sports channel feature live Pro Baseball and Hockey. No NFL at this point. This channel turns into a PPV HD movie channel during the overnight hours.
No network HD feeds are carried over DirecTV at this time either.
You'll need to switch to an oval dish that can hit both satellites. This is the same dish you need for many of the foreign language channels.
[Edited last by Jim Ferguson on September 15, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

ScottyL

Auditioning
So..I see. It's not worth it to me then
frown.gif
. Thanks for your help

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Most, if not all, DirecTV HD receivers also will receive over the air HDTV broadcasts. Therefore, if you live in an area where the local stations are broadcasting in HDTV, then you will also get those channels.
This fall, CBS and ABC will be broadcasting all their prime time studio programs in HDTV. Also, CBS will be broadcasting a college football game each Saturday in HDTV, and will probably broadcast the NFL playoffs as well. Finally, PBS has much HDTV content.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks