HDTV Reciever questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottyL, Sep 14, 2001.

1. ScottyL

ScottyL Auditioning

I have the DirectTV system now. If I buy a HDTV reciever, how many HD channels can I expect to recieve? Will the NFL be broadcasted in HD? Is it worth it? Any suggestions to which reciever u recommond? Is there special Equipment needed other than the reciever?
    Scott

2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Currently on DirecTV you get HBO in HD without about 85% of the material on it shown in HDTV. For free you also get HDNet a full-time mainly-sports channel feature live Pro Baseball and Hockey. No NFL at this point. This channel turns into a PPV HD movie channel during the overnight hours.
    No network HD feeds are carried over DirecTV at this time either.
    You'll need to switch to an oval dish that can hit both satellites. This is the same dish you need for many of the foreign language channels.
    [Edited last by Jim Ferguson on September 15, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

3. ScottyL

ScottyL Auditioning

So..I see. It's not worth it to me then [​IMG]. Thanks for your help

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Most, if not all, DirecTV HD receivers also will receive over the air HDTV broadcasts. Therefore, if you live in an area where the local stations are broadcasting in HDTV, then you will also get those channels.
    This fall, CBS and ABC will be broadcasting all their prime time studio programs in HDTV. Also, CBS will be broadcasting a college football game each Saturday in HDTV, and will probably broadcast the NFL playoffs as well. Finally, PBS has much HDTV content.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5