HDTV reception problems

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mac, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

The reason I come to this area is I am out of options--nobody can help me!! I have a Terk antenna(long skinny one) on my rooftop that pulls in local HDTV. I am having a major problem pulling in CBS--channel 32 for me. I originally thought it was airplanes that were interupting the signal as I live directly underneath a major flight path, but the last couple nights I have been receiving no signal more than a signal. I receive ABC, FOX and NBC just fine--no problems. HEck--sometimes I get CBS in great with no problems, until a airplane goes overhead. I had the installers out three times and they could not figure it out, although they did not get back on the roof to re-allign anything. Do I need a different antenna, or am I SOL? Why just CBS, which just happens to be the best channel for HDTV? Please help me. Thanks.

Mac

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Did the installers test the signal? You may just be in a weak area. The digital "footprint" for their broadcast is probably smaller than their analog one. Check to see where their tower is located in relation to your home. For example, here in Milwaukee, you have to pretty much live in the shadow of our Fox affiliate's tower to get a digital signal.

Airplanes can cause interferrence, and since your signal is digital.. interferrence can cause a entire loss of picture particularly if you're dealing with a weak signal already.

Also, check with your local CBS affiliate to see if they have any improvements planned. Some networks have done the bare minimum to meet FCC digital guidlines (like our FOX) and are planning improving signal in the future.

Otherwise.. if you've got $$ to spare and must have the signal, check with your local cable provider to see what the cheapest plan is that offers HD feeds.

Let us know what you find out.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

4. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

My advice would be to try a UHF directional antenna. Everything I have read about the Terk "antenna" has been negative. I bought my outdoor uhf antenna new for $19 and put it in the attic. This allows me to pick up almost every channel in my area and some in the opposite direction as well.

Good luck.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yeah Terk is terrible and overpriced. Get a real all-metal antenna like the Channel Master model 4221 (around $25) its 10x better than than $100 Terk.

6. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Mac

I live about 20 miles north of the twin cities area. I use a combination VHF/UHF antenna that I picked up at Target. This seems to do the trick for me. I can pick up all the locals plus HDNet. Aside from having to adjust it sometimes, it works for me.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It looks like all the stations for the Minneapolis area are transmitting from the same tower, so a directional antenna would be the way to go without needing to add a rotator. The Terk could be aimed in theory but I don't think the design allows for mast mounting - at least it's marketed as this cure-all, put-it-anywhere solution. You can pick up a basic outdoor Radio Shack UHF antenna for 20.00 or so.

8. Mac

Mac Agent

Thanks for you advice--I will try a standard antenna. Do you think this will avoid the airplane interference? I do not have interference with the Directv dish.

Mac

9. Mac

Mac Agent

Just wanted to give an update. I had the standard TERK directional antenna installed and the flat TERK taken off. Mission accomplished. I do not have any issues w/ interference now. Planes can land on my house in a blizzard and I do not have any breakup in the reception. Thanks for your help and I hope this helps others when selecting off-air HDTV antennas!!!

Mac

10. John S

John S Producer

Good to hear... When I was at CC the other day buy'n my tuner, they were try'n to sell me the same antenna, I kept telling them I had an older amplified indoor antenna to use, they kept telling me it would not work. While I was there, they had no less than three people come by the service desk that had bought their "suggested" antenna to use, complaining about coincidently CBS....

Of course my old powered indoor antenna worked great once I got it all hooked up. Those guys at CC told me, I had to get the dish, as I was only going to be able to get FOX an no other channels in my area, they were totaly wrong about that as well. I get 6 channels, so far....

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Sometimes I just want to be a jerk with employees at places like Circuit City when they are so misinformed. I guess I could be polite about it too, but there is just something about a person working somewhere and not knowing jack about what they're talking about. It could be an issue of the company not providing adequate training, but then if I were to work somewhere I would feel an obligation to be knowledgeable. I know there are some exceptions but they are few - kudos to those of you out there who are among the minority.

And not related to CC - I was in CostCo the other day and a couple unfamiliar with electronics asked a fellow customer for advice about CD portables. The guy was going for the Philips brand over the Panasonic the couple was favoring because, according to him, if you look at the consumer electronics industry Panasonic is not a major player. Excuse me? I can see not liking Panasonic products but you have to be living in a hole to think Panasonic is not one of the big boys! How does that explain seeing Panasonic products everywhere you go? Fortunately the couple seemed to not take him seriously with those first words.