What's new

HDTV reception for a newbie... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering if anyone could explain how I can get HD reception in laymans terms. Here is the list of equipment I have:
-Toshiba 65hdx82 hi-def compatable
-Dish Network (I do have the 2nd dish req.to get
high def signals)
-I am about 45 miles south of NYC.

I know I would need to get the the Dish Network hd receiver. But, I am hearing about that to get local stations hd. I would need to get a regular antenna. Can someone please explain what I need and how to set it up??

Thanks!!!

Mike I

Supporting Actor
In addition to Dish networks HD receiver, the dish 6000, you will need to get the optional 8vsb over the air module the plugs in the the back of the 6000..It is about an addtional 99 dollars..You would need an over the air antenna attached to the module..Once programmed all your digital over the air channels will be incoporated into the channel guide....The 8vsb module will also be able to carry the analog channels as well as the digital channel..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You would also need the optional 8PSK module for Discovery HD and any future Dish HD channels. Dish Depot has the 6000 with both modules for a little over $600.

Don't fall for the marketing of new HDTV antennas. Get a good UHF model from Radio Shack or Channel Master. Terk models are a lot like Bose. Good marketing and high prices but just average performance.

You may have to upgrade your dishes/switches depending on what equipment you have now.

-Robert

todd s

Senior HTF Member
How are the antenna's? My old uhf antenna's barely got the main local stations. Where do you put them...on the set or the roof?

Thanks again for all the help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm using a Radio Shack Double Bow Tie sitting on top of my TV. It's about the size of the rack in my toaster oven and looks a lot like it too. I'm about 20 miles from the towers in Memphis and get decent signals with an occasional drop-out. To stop the drop-outs, I'm upgrading to a Channel Master 4 or 8 bow-tie mounted in the attic. Bigger antenna plus the attic mount to get above the small hill in the back yard should give me perfect reception.

-Robert

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Robert,
I'm upgrading to a Channel Master 4 or 8 bow-tie mounted in the attic.
Any specific models in mind? Also, where does one purchase Channel Master antennas? I am about the same distance as Todd is from the NYC HD sources and would also like to set up an attic install.

Thanks.

Doug

DougR

Second Unit
Also check out:
Stark Electronics
How far away from the Transmitting Towers are you? That can make a difference on what antenna to be looking at.
Here's a site with some useful info: Click

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks